Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My sister is 29. Her mother is still recieving CS from our dad each month. Our dad will be 69 soon. To me, this seems pointless for him to still pay. I also feel if he is to pay, it should be going to my sister, not her mother. What do you think?

by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:56 AM
Replies (41-50):
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on May. 5, 2012 at 11:59 AM
Quoting momdoes:

If it is arrears, he ows it, to her mother.

With light and love

sbreece
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:59 AM
He'll pay as long as he's behind on Child Support until he's caught up. Depending on the state, sometimes they add interest. And no..it doesn't go to your sister. It goes to your mom for raising your sister without any help financially from your father until now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sbreece
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Its the same here in GA. Child support is awarded as long as the child is enrolled in school (and/or college). No matter the age.

Quoting acrogodess:

Child support is not for the kid. When mom and dad both live in the home they both provide a home, food, clothes and wants for the child. No one sits there and gives money to the child and says here this is to support you. Child support is awarded to the custodial parent for what would've been provided for if the non custodial parent had been in the home. It is called child support because that is to help with the expenses that child has. The child did not provide for herself therefore the money the father owes still goes to the mother because it was awarded to the mother during the time that child was a child. Arrears doesn't go away just because the child is an adult. If that was the case no one would pay child support because the balance would disappear when the child becomes an adult.

In a state like NY, child support is awarded until a child is 21. Here a non custodial parent can request a change of payee so that the child receives the money from 18 through 21 only if the child is away from home because in that case it makes sense that if the child is no longer in the home the custodial parent shouldn't receive the funds.
Quoting Mrs.Worthen:

Yeah but the purpose is to help the kid with their needs. So it should go to the kid. It's child support, not single mom support IMO

Quoting acrogodess:

Back child support never goes to the adult child. It goes to the parent who raised that child full time. Just because the child is now an adult doesn't change the fact that mom was the primary provider. Kwim? I worked for child support for a while.

Quoting Mrs.Worthen:

It should go to your sister IMO

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
acrogodess
by Lissette on May. 5, 2012 at 12:05 PM
:-)
Muahahaha that is great! If s/o leaves again I can move away to Georgia and make sure the kids go to college all the way til their Ph.D. lol

Quoting sbreece:

Its the same here in GA. Child support is awarded as long as the child is enrolled in school (and/or college). No matter the age.

Quoting acrogodess:

Child support is not for the kid. When mom and dad both live in the home they both provide a home, food, clothes and wants for the child. No one sits there and gives money to the child and says here this is to support you. Child support is awarded to the custodial parent for what would've been provided for if the non custodial parent had been in the home. It is called child support because that is to help with the expenses that child has. The child did not provide for herself therefore the money the father owes still goes to the mother because it was awarded to the mother during the time that child was a child. Arrears doesn't go away just because the child is an adult. If that was the case no one would pay child support because the balance would disappear when the child becomes an adult.

In a state like NY, child support is awarded until a child is 21. Here a non custodial parent can request a change of payee so that the child receives the money from 18 through 21 only if the child is away from home because in that case it makes sense that if the child is no longer in the home the custodial parent shouldn't receive the funds.
Quoting Mrs.Worthen:

Yeah but the purpose is to help the kid with their needs. So it should go to the kid. It's child support, not single mom support IMO

Quoting acrogodess:

Back child support never goes to the adult child. It goes to the parent who raised that child full time. Just because the child is now an adult doesn't change the fact that mom was the primary provider. Kwim? I worked for child support for a while.

Quoting Mrs.Worthen:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
elleinady
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:06 PM

Sorry -- mom spent all her money raising your 29 year old sister when dad was too lazy to meet his obligation. The money needs to go to mom. He was legally required to help her out, he didn't, and now she needs to be reimbursed for footing his share of the bill. He "borrowed" that money from your mom for years -- he needs to pay her back.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on May. 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM
This happened to us. When we were little, my father failed to pay his child support. Time came for him to get his social security benefits and he had to pay unless my mother signed a waiver, which after discussing it with us - she declined.

If he owes - he owes. He had an obligation to pay. If her mother had to go out of pocket 100% on her own because your father refused to pay , then she's entitled to be compensated, IMO.

Quoting momdoes:

My sister is 29. Her mother is still recieving CS from our dad each month. Our dad will be 69 soon. To me, this seems pointless for him to still pay. I also feel if he is to pay, it should be going to my sister, not her mother. What do you think?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jaydensmom1726
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:07 PM

they cant take child suppourt out of dissablity .if the that is his only form of income

he how ever they are getting it.he is probably paying back cs

Quoting momdoes:

Quoting Susan262:

I don't understand why he would still be pay CS.  Is she in school?

He is still paying on arrears. He gets SSDI I think and they take it out of that.

sbreece
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
Haha! Good idea mama! He would also be made to pay half of everything it takes to keep your children in college. Room and board, food, supplies, etc. On top of CS. That's how it was with my parents. Until I graduated college. If my dad offered to send me cash, mom wouldn't make him pay her anything that month. It worked out pretty well.

Quoting acrogodess:

:-)

Muahahaha that is great! If s/o leaves again I can move away to Georgia and make sure the kids go to college all the way til their Ph.D. lol

Quoting sbreece:

Quoting acrogodess:

Quoting Mrs.Worthen:

Quoting acrogodess:

Quoting Mrs.Worthen:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WesAndNicksMom
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:11 PM
My husbands mother waited until after he died at 23 to go after back cs and she got it. She's a cunt though so I wasn't surprised.

Quoting LadyStork:

What the hell...how does that even exist? Back cs?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Earth_Mama90
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:12 PM
I think if he skipped out on cs for a long time he has to back pay it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)