Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

S/O white kid names

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM
  • 94 Replies
Why would anyone be offended if they were told their child's name sounded like a "white kid name"? I really don't understand.

My DDs name is Joliscia: jo-lee-see-ya. If someone told me her name sounded Spanish I wouldn't be irritated or offended, because it is.

Explain this to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tish_Hughes
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Have no clue.

MIA0223
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM
I don't get it either.
My DD is Anisa. Its an Arabic name, but I get told a lot it's a "black name" and I dont take offense at all!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:51 AM

Yea, I don't see how it's a bad thing to be told something like that.  It's not like you're going to say, "Oh you're right, it does!  Let's change it now!!"

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

art.diva
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:52 AM
3 moms liked this
It's probably because some black people are often told they "act white", or called "oreos", which is meant to be a huge insult.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:53 AM
Lol very true!

Quoting jillbailey26:

Yea, I don't see how it's a bad thing to be told something like that.  It's not like you're going to say, "Oh you're right, it does!  Let's change it now!!"

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreziaMommyTo2
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this

i missed the white kid name post...

epoh
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:54 AM
1 mom liked this
So if a black man is named Bruce and he golfs and owns a house with a white picket fence and has a white collar job, and someone says he acts white, he's supposed to be offended?

What's wrong with being white? How would that be offensive?

Quoting art.diva:

It's probably because some black people are often told they "act white", or called "oreos", which is meant to be a huge insult.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ideal_Lady
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM
Both of my sons have Arabic names and they are black. I do get comments from people but I don't care. I chose my kids names for good reason.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Pink_Sunshine
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:55 AM

My boys names are biblical names. It would annoy me if someone said they were "black" names because usually they assume that all AAs have the same taste in names.

epoh
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:56 AM
As most people do. If I gave my kids Irish names I wouldn't be pissed if someone asked if we were Irish. It just makes no sense!

Quoting Ideal_Lady:

Both of my sons have Arabic names and they are black. I do get comments from people but I don't care. I chose my kids names for good reason.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)