Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Why would anyone be offended if they were told their child's name sounded like a "white kid name"? I really don't understand.

My DDs name is Joliscia: jo-lee-see-ya. If someone told me her name sounded Spanish I wouldn't be irritated or offended, because it is.

Explain this to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Replies (31-40):
art.diva
by on May. 5, 2012 at 12:09 PM
Thank you...I think you explained it better than me. =0)

Quoting Mommy2ZOEBETH:

My best friend is black and is told constantly she "acts white" or "talks white". What they are referring to is the fact that she is intelligent,doesn't use slang,is polite and has class. It is extremely insulting because those are not white traits...those are traits of a classy,intelligent woman regardless of race.

People speak to her on the phone and assume she is white then are usually surprised when they meet in person or she says her name is Tyresha.

Quoting art.diva:

It's probably because some black people are often told they "act white", or called "oreos", which is meant to be a huge insult.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:15 PM
I'd probably say, "because I like rocks." lol

Quoting LadyStork:

Emerald

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Quoting LadyStork:

I was asked why I.named my dd after a rock. I just stared at her like she was smoking rocks.

Lol, what is her name?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:16 PM
So it would be a Hawaiian name. And there's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Quoting HadnKmom:

oh ok....so what color is my daughters name if it is hawaiian? lol...a name is a name i dont think it should associated with the color of someones skin. kwim? i mean their culture and background is importnant  but like i said dd2's name is hawaiian but we arent....i named her that bc of the meaning.....

Quoting epoh:

Obviously the culture the name is derived from. As I pointed out, my own child has a Spanish name. It's Spanish because of where it originates from. Any name derived from Europe or the states would thus be white names, as the majority of people are of white skin color.

Quoting HadnKmom:

what makes a white name?!?!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:18 PM
That makes sense. She shouldn't be offended though. As I said earlier in the replies, basing personality traits off of a race would be ignorance, and the opinion is thus invalid.

Quoting Mommy2ZOEBETH:

My best friend is black and is told constantly she "acts white" or "talks white". What they are referring to is the fact that she is intelligent,doesn't use slang,is polite and has class. It is extremely insulting because those are not white traits...those are traits of a classy,intelligent woman regardless of race.

People speak to her on the phone and assume she is white then are usually surprised when they meet in person or she says her name is Tyresha.

Quoting art.diva:

It's probably because some black people are often told they "act white", or called "oreos", which is meant to be a huge insult.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ladyraven16
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:21 PM
Really? There are 2 black kids in my sons preschool named jayden.

Quoting epoh:

Idk. I think "Jayden" is definitely a white name.

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Is Sophie a white name?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2012 at 12:23 PM
Yup. I know a Filipino Jaden. :)

Quoting ladyraven16:

Quoting epoh:

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Is Sophie a white name?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tish_Hughes
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:07 PM

Apparently anything that sounds like Aiden is a everybody name.

Quoting epoh:

Yup. I know a Filipino Jaden. :)

Quoting ladyraven16:

Quoting epoh:

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Is Sophie a white name?

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:11 PM
On the flip side, DH's grandfather, uncle and cousin were named Leroy. People always assumed they were black. They were/are white. not just white but pasty white.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HelloKitty86
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:36 PM

No offense, but when I hear Leroy I think of a country man :)

Quoting coolmommy2x:

On the flip side, DH's grandfather, uncle and cousin were named Leroy. People always assumed they were black. They were/are white. not just white but pasty white.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on May. 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM
Huh. The only Jayla I know is white.

Quoting kjfamily:

Yeah for my dd Kayla I wanted to name her Jayla after my husband but my mom said that sounded black..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)