Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Why would anyone be offended if they were told their child's name sounded like a "white kid name"? I really don't understand.

My DDs name is Joliscia: jo-lee-see-ya. If someone told me her name sounded Spanish I wouldn't be irritated or offended, because it is.

Explain this to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Replies (41-50):
epoh
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:39 PM
1 mom liked this
It originates within English speaking countries, so, again, it would be considered a white name. Of course anyone can name their child that if they like the name and want their child to have the same name as 6 other kids in their class. Totally their prerogative.

Quoting Tish_Hughes:

Apparently anything that sounds like Aiden is a everybody name.

Quoting epoh:

Yup. I know a Filipino Jaden. :)

Quoting ladyraven16:

Really? There are 2 black kids in my sons preschool named jayden.

Quoting epoh:

Idk. I think "Jayden" is definitely a white name.

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Is Sophie a white name?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:40 PM
I know a black Jayla. :)

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Huh. The only Jayla I know is white.

Quoting kjfamily:

Yeah for my dd Kayla I wanted to name her Jayla after my husband but my mom said that sounded black..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on May. 5, 2012 at 1:42 PM
1 mom liked this
I think of Leroy Jethro Gibbs from NCIS. That man is hot, lol.

Quoting HelloKitty86:

No offense, but when I hear Leroy I think of a country man :)

Quoting coolmommy2x:

On the flip side, DH's grandfather, uncle and cousin were named Leroy. People always assumed they were black. They were/are white. not just white but pasty white.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HelloKitty86
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:43 PM

Hell ya he is lol :)

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

I think of Leroy Jethro Gibbs from NCIS. That man is hot, lol.

Quoting HelloKitty86:

No offense, but when I hear Leroy I think of a country man :)

Quoting coolmommy2x:

On the flip side, DH's grandfather, uncle and cousin were named Leroy. People always assumed they were black. They were/are white. not just white but pasty white.

Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Breastfeeding tickers
Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on May. 5, 2012 at 1:44 PM
Well, Sofia/Sophia is Greek. :-)

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Is Sophie a white name?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsbrimer
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:45 PM
Exactly... i purposely named my girls "white girl" names.. why? Ummm because they are white. Why would i name a blonde hair blue eyed white girl guadalupe?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rgba
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM
Yes, that is offensive. Why are any of those things "white" things? What would someone consider "black" things, then?

Quoting epoh:

So if a black man is named Bruce and he golfs and owns a house with a white picket fence and has a white collar job, and someone says he acts white, he's supposed to be offended?

What's wrong with being white? How would that be offensive?

Quoting art.diva:

It's probably because some black people are often told they "act white", or called "oreos", which is meant to be a huge insult.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AdellesMom
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:46 PM
I've been accused of acting white by black people. It's offensive because white people aren't the only ones that use proper grammar, have successful careers , etc.

There are negative stereotypes out there and people sometimes "expect" you to play into them depending on what your race is.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Lunarprancer
by Betsy on May. 5, 2012 at 1:47 PM

Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

Well, Sofia/Sophia is Greek. :-)

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Is Sophie a white name?

She's just Sophie, but it is Greek as well, means wisdom =0)  Lol, she's white and puerto rican.

With light and love

epoh
by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM
How is doing well for yourself offensive, regardless of what color you are? I don't know why those are considered white things.

And I'm sure you already know what some people consider a stereotypical black man.

Quoting rgba:

Yes, that is offensive. Why are any of those things "white" things? What would someone consider "black" things, then?

Quoting epoh:

So if a black man is named Bruce and he golfs and owns a house with a white picket fence and has a white collar job, and someone says he acts white, he's supposed to be offended?

What's wrong with being white? How would that be offensive?

Quoting art.diva:

It's probably because some black people are often told they "act white", or called "oreos", which is meant to be a huge insult.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)