Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
Why would anyone be offended if they were told their child's name sounded like a "white kid name"? I really don't understand.

My DDs name is Joliscia: jo-lee-see-ya. If someone told me her name sounded Spanish I wouldn't be irritated or offended, because it is.

Explain this to me.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:48 AM
Replies (81-90):
Tish_Hughes
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:38 PM

Quoting charliebean:

I have a (black) friend named Natalie who gets comments on her name being "white" a lot. To be fair though, I believe Natalie is the American version of Natasha, which is a Russian name (don't quote me on that though, I know it's somewhere in northern Europe), and most Russians are white.

I have a "white" name, but I love my name. Just glad that I'm not another Eboni, Natasha, Shericka, Tamika, Kim, Michelle, Tiffany, LaToya, etc.

rgba
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 4:39 PM
It's offensive in the implication that NOT being white means you won't do well for yourself.

Quoting epoh:

How is doing well for yourself offensive, regardless of what color you are? I don't know why those are considered white things.

And I'm sure you already know what some people consider a stereotypical black man.

Quoting rgba:

Yes, that is offensive. Why are any of those things "white" things? What would someone consider "black" things, then?

Quoting epoh:

So if a black man is named Bruce and he golfs and owns a house with a white picket fence and has a white collar job, and someone says he acts white, he's supposed to be offended?

What's wrong with being white? How would that be offensive?

Quoting art.diva:

It's probably because some black people are often told they "act white", or called "oreos", which is meant to be a huge insult.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bchic24
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:43 PM

I don't know, though I've been told someone was glad I didn't use a "black" name for my son since he's mixed. I did get a little irritated by that.

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 4:51 PM
I'm mobile, I can't see the video.

Quoting CaptainFeast:

Leeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeroy Jenkins!

Quoting coolmommy2x:

On the flip side, DH's grandfather, uncle and cousin were named Leroy. People always assumed they were black. They were/are white. not just white but pasty white.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LectioDivina
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:52 PM

People say I named my kids old people names

DixieL
by Dixie on May. 5, 2012 at 4:53 PM

I wouldn't be offended. It doesn't make any sense

NVL0707
by Diamond Member on May. 5, 2012 at 4:58 PM
My dd is Jayla after my dh Jason.She is white and Mexican,lol.I had one person in my dds 4yrs say it was a black name.I don't care though its super cute! ;)

Quoting kjfamily:

Yeah for my dd Kayla I wanted to name her Jayla after my husband but my mom said that sounded black..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
demlilkit
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Mine Keyenna

TrouserMouse
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:05 PM
1 mom liked this

But, what if Bruce sky dives and likes mayo?  Still offensive?  Lol, j/k.

Quoting art.diva:

It kind of is. But it is meant to be hurtful, and usually works. And this is why some black women don't like hearing their kids have "white names", because those comments are usually meant as an insult.

Quoting epoh:

Stupidest thing I've ever heard. Lol it seems as if that statement would be more derogatory towards white people, as if being white was a bad thing.

Quoting Lunarprancer:

Quoting epoh:

Oh because they are betraying their own, blah.

UxorQuodMatris.
by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:06 PM
I wouldn't be offended.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN