Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

When All states make gay marriage legal.....?

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM
  • 17 Replies

What is going to happen to those that went to another state and got married before it was legal in their state, then they decided they wanted to be with a man instead and married a man in their state because gay marriage isn't recognized at the time? So when gay marriage is legal in all states, they would be legally married to 2 people. Think they will fix that before they make it legal in all states or do you think that it will be a 'trial and error' with a lot of families being ruinned/go through horrible crap in the process? Just a thought. What do you think will happen?

Okay, so I found out from my mom that when a state makes gay marriage legal, it is only from that point on. My great aunts had to get re-married when California made it legal again after taking it away, because they only go from that point on. All prior gay marriages dont count. They're staying married, this wasn't about them. lol

So my cousin is married to another woman, ceremony/certificate in Iowa. They are legally married there, but not here in Missouri where my cousin lives, and not in Kansas where she lives. So my cousin went back to being with men (that was her only gf, now wife) and having a baby, and talking about getting married to him. Will she still be considered a bigamist in Iowa? 

*NOTE* I think she should be considered a bigamist. I am for gay marriage, but people like my cousin are the type that make it difficult for some to accept that it should be recognized. But she's also ...how do i say this kindly...not too smart, so I wonder if she'd even think of this. 

by on May. 5, 2012 at 1:49 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mama2ETA
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:20 PM

BUMP!

Piskie
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:32 PM
1 mom liked this
It's called bigamy. You cant marry another person, regardless of state it gender, if you're already married to someone else.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama2ETA
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 2:37 PM

Quoting Piskie:

It's called bigamy. You cant marry another person, regardless of state it gender, if you're already married to someone else.

It isn't (right now) if the marriage is not recognized in the state in which you marry.  OBVIOUSLY it's illegal to be married to more than one person, but if the marriage is not recognized, it's not considered Bigamy. That is what I am saying.

fallenangel_353
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:40 PM

Quoting Mama2ETA:

Quoting Piskie:

It isn't (right now) if the marriage is not recognized in the state in which you marry.  OBVIOUSLY it's illegal to be married to more than one person, but if the marriage is not recognized, it's not considered Bigamy. That is what I am saying.

As of now this is what I would think, if the marriage isnt recognized it wouldnt be bigmay... BUT, if per se gay marriage were to become legal in all states, would the (non recognized) certificates or whatever suddenly be recognized, then in turn be deemed as bigamy if they were legally married to someone?

Apollos82
by on May. 5, 2012 at 2:42 PM
I think if someone was married to a same-gener person in one state, change their mind, and married someone else of the opposite gender in other state...perhaps they have bigger fish to fry?? Besides...I would think that there would be some sort of retroactive clause in each states laws to prevent such happenings.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mama2ETA
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 8:51 AM

BUMP!

Mama2ETA
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 8:52 AM

Quoting Apollos82:

I think if someone was married to a same-gener person in one state, change their mind, and married someone else of the opposite gender in other state...perhaps they have bigger fish to fry?? Besides...I would think that there would be some sort of retroactive clause in each states laws to prevent such happenings.

yeah, my cousin has bigger issues....lol

alwayskk
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:58 AM

States are supposed to recognize marriages from other states. Full faith and credit clause? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

Mama2ETA
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:00 AM

not gay marriage. It is illegal in Missouri and Kansas.

Quoting alwayskk:

States are supposed to recognize marriages from other states. Full faith and credit clause? Maybe I'm remembering wrong.

alwayskk
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:01 AM

Technically, gay marriage should be included. Marriage is marriage. LOL  Gay marriage isn't actually illegal, it just isn't recognized.

Quoting Mama2ETA:

not gay marriage. It is illegal in Missouri and Kansas.

Quoting alwayskk:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)