Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How much do you spend on groceries a month?

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM
  • 74 Replies

Ok. In our house, $200 or little bit over that is what can spend each month. It's out budget...sometimes it just doesn't last us the whole month. There are only three of us (two adults and our toddler) and I can't seem to shop to make it last in our home for a whole month? Maybe we have to spend more? I don't know. Last time, I went to the Farmer's Market for meats and other things...and to the Dollar Tree for sides and snacks. Hubby told me we need to buy "real" food? I am like, it is all food!!! I am not sure what that means, but whatever...I am the only trying to make a meal so....but yeah, how much do you think is enough for 3 people?

by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
blsdbyangel07
by Evil Food Lady on May. 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM

Right now *I* rarely cook and when I do it's usually just for myself.  It's approx $30 a week and $120 a month if that..  That includes stuff for quick stuff like sammies, salads & some tv dinners..  lawd did I mention tv dinners?  I know i'm setting myself up for a lecture but some days I can't stand bc my feet / legs are completely numb soo that's a reason why I have to depend on those.  But that also includes non edible items like paper towels, plastic forks, etc..

I stocked up in Feb so I have a freezer packed w/ meats and frozen veggies.  Soo that's another good reason why it's low.  Plus, my family brings me food sometimes as well.

Elayna90
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:46 PM
I could do it on $200 for three people but it would be tight.
I use about $400 for 4 but between food allergies and pickiness, some nights I make 2-3 different dinners.
What kind of food are you buying? And what does he mean by real food?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Beautifulmom513
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 4:47 PM

for our family of 3, 2 adults and 1 child we spend $150 a week.

taKENheart
by Flovely on May. 5, 2012 at 4:48 PM

As a family of 4 we have a food allowance of $600 but I don't always use all of that.  *note it does include household/personal products.
I'd say $125 per family member is a good approximation....varies based on age of kids though. 

RhondaVeggie
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:49 PM
I spend a bit less than that for the three of us. My weekly shop is usually about $25-35 and then I go to BJs at once every two months, Asian and Indian markets about once every month or two. It's plenty for us but we are a bunch of health nuts so it's very rare for me to buy stuff like snack food and we don't buy meat or dairy and I know that stuff is expensive.
piwife
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:50 PM
$300-350 family of 4
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tinkerbellmama
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:52 PM

I spend about $500-$600 a month on groceries and household/personal items for a family of 6. It's all lumped into the same budget because I try to get it all at the same time. I spend about $125-$150 a week. Sometimes a little more sometimes a little less.

prettygirl326
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 4:52 PM

girl if i knew..i would tell you. he said that because i went to the dollar tree last time we went to get groceries. i get the sides and snacks for there. they have great deals on cereals, snacks, boxed foods which are the sides...sometimes i make sides from scratch but not alot. so i tell him i don't know, i might just go back there again. then he tells me, dollar tree is mostly for snacks, they don't really sell "real food". i am like, "how so? what do you consider real food?!!" he couldn't tell me...i get sick of that. i am the only cook around here and he don't ever grab what he wants or gives me imput on what he wants to eat so he really has no say. plus i fried chicken, which is something i NEVER wanted to do, but i figure he wanted something different...makes me feel like i don't know what i am doing or i am not taking care of the duties or something..like i don't know how to shop for food?! huh

Quoting Elayna90:

I could do it on $200 for three people but it would be tight.
I use about $400 for 4 but between food allergies and pickiness, some nights I make 2-3 different dinners.
What kind of food are you buying? And what does he mean by real food?

eesmommy
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 4:52 PM
For 4. people 2 adults. & 2 kids 6&4. I spend about 500 a month. I cook all our meals and pack two lunches everyday of the week I make our breads and cereals as well as some of our cheeses and all our yogurt.
REAL FOOD is food that is basic such as potatoes rice veggies and meats. no prepackaged or processed meals. Making foods or meals from scratch saves money both at the store and in the long run. Fresh basic foods raised without pesticieds and unprocessed is easier for your body to process and burn as well as use for fuel and it keeps you full and satisfied longer:)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sassy01
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:53 PM

we spend about $100-$150 every week, but that also includes snacks for me to put in my book bag for at school, plus paper stuff, cleaning supplies,.

and there are 3 of us, all adults.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN