Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

How much do you spend on groceries a month?

Posted by   + Show Post

Ok. In our house, $200 or little bit over that is what can spend each month. It's out budget...sometimes it just doesn't last us the whole month. There are only three of us (two adults and our toddler) and I can't seem to shop to make it last in our home for a whole month? Maybe we have to spend more? I don't know. Last time, I went to the Farmer's Market for meats and other things...and to the Dollar Tree for sides and snacks. Hubby told me we need to buy "real" food? I am like, it is all food!!! I am not sure what that means, but whatever...I am the only trying to make a meal so....but yeah, how much do you think is enough for 3 people?

by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
Mamacruz13
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:54 PM

We spend about $600 monthly, typically $150 weekly and we are vegetarian, two adults, 3 year old and infant.

mamabooka78
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:55 PM

our grocery bill is about $500 on groceries, and it never makes it the whole month either and we shop at a couple diff stores to save money, but its hard, we have to go to the food banks for help as well we have 2 adults and one teen. we are always just scraping by at the end of the month, its hard when everything is going up, its expensive for food especially meats.

LexRi0709
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:55 PM
I spend about $300 for 2 adults a 3 yr old and a 5 yr old that's here 2 wks a month. I shop at winn dixie. They do 10/$10 on a lot of basic stuff like diced tomatoes. They also do fuel perks. Certain things on sale will give a min of .5 off per gallon of gasat participating shell gas stations. I went shopping yesterday, spent $110 and got .70 off per gallon of gas. The food will last me about 2 wks minus fill-ins like milk.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prettygirl326
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 4:56 PM

oh yeah but i get it all! and the dollar store sells staples, like rice, pastas, sauces...all that..and i go and get meats and things from somewhere else. i like frozen veggies because the fresh stuff always go bad because i forget to cook it. plus hubby don't even care for veggies much at all. he likes meat.

Quoting eesmommy:

For 4. people 2 adults. & 2 kids 6&4. I spend about 500 a month. I cook all our meals and pack two lunches everyday of the week I make our breads and cereals as well as some of our cheeses and all our yogurt.
REAL FOOD is food that is basic such as potatoes rice veggies and meats. no prepackaged or processed meals. Making foods or meals from scratch saves money both at the store and in the long run. Fresh basic foods raised without pesticieds and unprocessed is easier for your body to process and burn as well as use for fuel and it keeps you full and satisfied longer:)

Kelly_Ann
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:57 PM
We stick to 250 or less....... usually less and we have a stockpile going I am preggo plus hubby son and step daughter every other weekend. This also includes our house cleaners.. I coupon and we have a stockpile of pull ups and two months worth of diapers for the new baby plus probably 6 months worth of cleaning supplies..
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fstysxofthebtt
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Any where from 600 to 1000. We have 7 people. That's including going out to eat.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Namaste17
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:58 PM
$700-$800/month for a family of 4. We eat really healthy and fresh produce is very expensive.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Derari
by on May. 5, 2012 at 4:58 PM
Quoting Beautifulmom513:

for our family of 3, 2 adults and 1 child we spend $150 a week.

That sounds like a lot?? What re you buying? Lol
.betty.white.
by bilf on May. 5, 2012 at 4:59 PM

Too much.  If we could we would shop the sales but there aren't things like that here.  I estamate about $500-600 a month for a family of 3.  We buy all organic (if possible) and really healthy foods though. 

Elayna90
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 4:59 PM
LOL. My hubby used to pull that with me. I made him write me a list of what he likes and wants for when I go to the store.

One thing he may think is that boxed food isn't real food. But sometimes it is cheaper and tastier than making what you know how.

Just tell him if he thinks he can do better than he is welcome to try. Give him the grocery money and a list of what *you* need and tell him you need snacks and sides with the rest.

Quoting prettygirl326:

girl if i knew..i would tell you. he said that because i went to the dollar tree last time we went to get groceries. i get the sides and snacks for there. they have great deals on cereals, snacks, boxed foods which are the sides...sometimes i make sides from scratch but not alot. so i tell him i don't know, i might just go back there again. then he tells me, dollar tree is mostly for snacks, they don't really sell "real food". i am like, "how so? what do you consider real food?!!" he couldn't tell me...i get sick of that. i am the only cook around here and he don't ever grab what he wants or gives me imput on what he wants to eat so he really has no say. plus i fried chicken, which is something i NEVER wanted to do, but i figure he wanted something different...makes me feel like i don't know what i am doing or i am not taking care of the duties or something..like i don't know how to shop for food?! huh

Quoting Elayna90:

I could do it on $200 for three people but it would be tight.
I use about $400 for 4 but between food allergies and pickiness, some nights I make 2-3 different dinners.
What kind of food are you buying? And what does he mean by real food?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)