Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I was just ticketed for shop lifting!!!**UPDATE**

Posted by   + Show Post

Yep you read that right, I am a grown ass fucking woman with two kids who was ticketed and almost arrested for fucking shoplifting!!!

I was at the mall getting stuff for the wedding we have to go to today(which we are now late for thanks to this B.S.)

I went into Herbergers to get DH a tie and DD a dress. I found the tie and was in girls looking at dresses. I kept dropping the tie I had so I tucked it into the other bag I had and kept looking at dresses. I find one and start towards the check out. I put everything up on the counter and pay for it. I turn walk out and half way through the mall I get a man running after me, so I stop. He says he is mall security. He says I need to come with him.

I have no idea what this is about!

We get to a little room and he says that I am being a ticketed for shoplifting a tie!!! Oh shit I forgot the tie in my other bag OMG!!!

So after an hour of me trying to explain and them not believing me, they give me a ticket to appear in court and I get to go home

I am freakin out! I do home daycare and have 2 kids, what am I supposed to do?!?

Has anyone dealt with this before? What happens now? Will this be on my record now? Can I get it off?

**UPDATE**

So i dont really know much else yet, but i do know that this whole ordeal has really made me look at my life. If i am so unorganized that i have to rush through a store 45 min before a wedding I have known about for months, just to get a tie and dress that i should have gotten weeks ago. AND i am so rushed and stressed that i FORGET to pay for one of the items then i have some major things to adjust in my life. 

This is a horrible way to learn my lesson and i break down everytime i think about what i am going to say to my kids and my family about this. But i am glad that i know have the motivation i need to reorganize my life.

I want to thank those of you who gave such reassuring words and i will be sure to update you guys on this crazy journey....

**UPDATE**

So i have court today, I will be leaving in a couple of hours. I decided not to get a lawyer, i am just going to go and plead NOT GUILTY and hope for the best! I am so nervous i feel like i am going to throw up! I have never even been in a court house. I dont know what to expect...... I will try to update as soon as i know know something. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

**UPDATE**

So i just got back from court. They changed the charge from Theft to "concealing unpaid merchandise" which is much better! It is just a petty misdemeanor and isn't considered a crime. I have to pay a $150 fine and nothing will go on my record!!!

I am so glad to be done with all of this and i have definatly learned my lesson.

by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Replies (41-50):
RedRozeMom
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:38 PM
One time I was in court for a traffic ticket...mandatory appearance....there was a woman who went before the judge for shoplifting at walmart. Nobody from walmart appeared, so the judge dismissed the charges and the woman walked. If it's a mandatory court appearance you have no choice but to go as not going will result in a warrant.

The judge will ask you how you plead. Then he/she will ask for your side. Just tell it straight up. Chances are, if you have no record, you'll get probation. If he's super merciful, you may get off with a lecture. And you could always hope nobody from the store shows up...

Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Meghan1987
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM
5 moms liked this
Uh why would you put it in another bag? Why not just hold it or drape it over your arm?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sherry132
by Sherry on May. 5, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Get a lawyer, with probation time, it will be off your record permanently. But definitely get a lawyer.

liveforever
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 9:44 PM

Quoting PinkHairMAMA:

Make sure you keep the receipt from what you did buy and if you went to any other store after that today. If you went to the wedding maybe even a picture of your husband wearing the tie or another one you bought in its place to show you had a reason to be in the store. I would recommend a lawyer. It might be a little pricy but having somebody that has been through this is always good.

That wont help much. I work retail and assist LP a lot. Soooo many people actually do buy an item or 2 and then have things they are stealing under their clothes/in their purse etc.

PinkHairMAMA
by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:52 PM
I mean that way she can say "yes, I was there. This is what else I bought." Not like the other post said that she bought so she didn't mean to. Just to be open and honest, so they don't think she is trying to hide anything. I'm sure the judge would ask for it, and it would look HORRIBLE for her to say "Oops, I lost it." My DH used to be a manager at Target and I've heard all the horror stories. Some people pull some stupid stuff!!

Quoting liveforever:

Quoting PinkHairMAMA:

Make sure you keep the receipt from what you did buy and if you went to any other store after that today. If you went to the wedding maybe even a picture of your husband wearing the tie or another one you bought in its place to show you had a reason to be in the store. I would recommend a lawyer. It might be a little pricy but having somebody that has been through this is always good.

That wont help much. I work retail and assist LP a lot. Soooo many people actually do buy an item or 2 and then have things they are stealing under their clothes/in their purse etc.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
fatcat0908
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM
Get a good lawyer and chalk it up to a lesson learned. It sucks for you, but it was a real irresponsible move on your part. Never conceal an item you haven't paid for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DamianaFire
by Damiana on May. 5, 2012 at 9:59 PM
Write down everything that happened, just to keep it fresh. Go to court and just explain what happened, clearly & simply. Be honest. Answer all questions honestly. Good luck.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emeraldangel20
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:02 PM

yikes, sorry but i dont have anything to offer. happened to my cousin and she said the same thing happened to her. the court didnt believe her and she got a 500 dollar fine

AFWifeNMom
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:40 PM
I would gladly pay a fine! I just don't want it on my record!!!!

Quoting emeraldangel20:

yikes, sorry but i dont have anything to offer. happened to my cousin and she said the same thing happened to her. the court didnt believe her and she got a 500 dollar fine

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AjCeCeMom
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Mmmmmmm hmmmmm

Quoting Meghan1987:

Uh why would you put it in another bag? Why not just hold it or drape it over your arm?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)