Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I was just ticketed for shop lifting!!!**UPDATE**

Posted by   + Show Post

Yep you read that right, I am a grown ass fucking woman with two kids who was ticketed and almost arrested for fucking shoplifting!!!

I was at the mall getting stuff for the wedding we have to go to today(which we are now late for thanks to this B.S.)

I went into Herbergers to get DH a tie and DD a dress. I found the tie and was in girls looking at dresses. I kept dropping the tie I had so I tucked it into the other bag I had and kept looking at dresses. I find one and start towards the check out. I put everything up on the counter and pay for it. I turn walk out and half way through the mall I get a man running after me, so I stop. He says he is mall security. He says I need to come with him.

I have no idea what this is about!

We get to a little room and he says that I am being a ticketed for shoplifting a tie!!! Oh shit I forgot the tie in my other bag OMG!!!

So after an hour of me trying to explain and them not believing me, they give me a ticket to appear in court and I get to go home

I am freakin out! I do home daycare and have 2 kids, what am I supposed to do?!?

Has anyone dealt with this before? What happens now? Will this be on my record now? Can I get it off?

**UPDATE**

So i dont really know much else yet, but i do know that this whole ordeal has really made me look at my life. If i am so unorganized that i have to rush through a store 45 min before a wedding I have known about for months, just to get a tie and dress that i should have gotten weeks ago. AND i am so rushed and stressed that i FORGET to pay for one of the items then i have some major things to adjust in my life. 

This is a horrible way to learn my lesson and i break down everytime i think about what i am going to say to my kids and my family about this. But i am glad that i know have the motivation i need to reorganize my life.

I want to thank those of you who gave such reassuring words and i will be sure to update you guys on this crazy journey....

**UPDATE**

So i have court today, I will be leaving in a couple of hours. I decided not to get a lawyer, i am just going to go and plead NOT GUILTY and hope for the best! I am so nervous i feel like i am going to throw up! I have never even been in a court house. I dont know what to expect...... I will try to update as soon as i know know something. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

**UPDATE**

So i just got back from court. They changed the charge from Theft to "concealing unpaid merchandise" which is much better! It is just a petty misdemeanor and isn't considered a crime. I have to pay a $150 fine and nothing will go on my record!!!

I am so glad to be done with all of this and i have definatly learned my lesson.

by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Replies (21-30):
AjCeCeMom
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:17 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, you did shoplift so what exactly are you expecting?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
soon2bemomof307
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:20 PM
1 mom liked this
Well technically you did steal it even if accidently. What were they to think?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Emerald Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:22 PM
Then you pay a fine and do community service. If it's a first offense it may not go on your record.

Quoting AFWifeNMom:

But what if he doesn't believe me? What then? I have never even had a speeding ticket, I don't know how court even works

Quoting my3boys0710:

You go before a judge andpled your case

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on May. 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM

bump

Supervane
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:23 PM
Like my mom always says don't do things that may appear to be bad... Just be honest and explain your situation to the judge
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AjCeCeMom
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:24 PM
Its quite common for shoplifters to pay for one item whilst having another (or ten) in their bag. That might not mean much to people who deal with theives on a daily basis.

Quoting jadsmummy:

I wouldn't worry. Get a lawyer, go before the judge and be sincere and honest about what happened. You don't have a history of theft it was a honest mistake. PLUS you paying for another item goes to corroborate your story. It sounds like the mall guy had a big case of big fish little pond syndrome.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM

Just go before the judge and tell him what happened and hope he believes you. So many people steal by putting stuff in other bags. I doubt the judge will believe you.

gemikris82
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:25 PM

i was accused of shoplifting at kmart.  while walking through the bra section a bra hook got stuck to my sweater somehow. i didnt even notice and i was leaving and the security guard stopped me and made a scene. i was like dont you think if i was going to steal, i would at least try to hide it?

mmtosam06
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:30 PM
The only other thing is you will most likely get a yr ban from the mall and a permanent ban from the dept store.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nursetiffany.
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:33 PM

Quoting mybabyapples:

That was pretty dumb on your part.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)