Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I was just ticketed for shop lifting!!!**UPDATE**

Posted by   + Show Post

Yep you read that right, I am a grown ass fucking woman with two kids who was ticketed and almost arrested for fucking shoplifting!!!

I was at the mall getting stuff for the wedding we have to go to today(which we are now late for thanks to this B.S.)

I went into Herbergers to get DH a tie and DD a dress. I found the tie and was in girls looking at dresses. I kept dropping the tie I had so I tucked it into the other bag I had and kept looking at dresses. I find one and start towards the check out. I put everything up on the counter and pay for it. I turn walk out and half way through the mall I get a man running after me, so I stop. He says he is mall security. He says I need to come with him.

I have no idea what this is about!

We get to a little room and he says that I am being a ticketed for shoplifting a tie!!! Oh shit I forgot the tie in my other bag OMG!!!

So after an hour of me trying to explain and them not believing me, they give me a ticket to appear in court and I get to go home

I am freakin out! I do home daycare and have 2 kids, what am I supposed to do?!?

Has anyone dealt with this before? What happens now? Will this be on my record now? Can I get it off?

**UPDATE**

So i dont really know much else yet, but i do know that this whole ordeal has really made me look at my life. If i am so unorganized that i have to rush through a store 45 min before a wedding I have known about for months, just to get a tie and dress that i should have gotten weeks ago. AND i am so rushed and stressed that i FORGET to pay for one of the items then i have some major things to adjust in my life. 

This is a horrible way to learn my lesson and i break down everytime i think about what i am going to say to my kids and my family about this. But i am glad that i know have the motivation i need to reorganize my life.

I want to thank those of you who gave such reassuring words and i will be sure to update you guys on this crazy journey....

**UPDATE**

So i have court today, I will be leaving in a couple of hours. I decided not to get a lawyer, i am just going to go and plead NOT GUILTY and hope for the best! I am so nervous i feel like i am going to throw up! I have never even been in a court house. I dont know what to expect...... I will try to update as soon as i know know something. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

**UPDATE**

So i just got back from court. They changed the charge from Theft to "concealing unpaid merchandise" which is much better! It is just a petty misdemeanor and isn't considered a crime. I have to pay a $150 fine and nothing will go on my record!!!

I am so glad to be done with all of this and i have definatly learned my lesson.

by on May. 5, 2012 at 5:12 PM
Replies (51-60):
grey7399
by on May. 5, 2012 at 11:46 PM

You are so screwed.  I'm sorry.

My store rarely confronts a known shoplifter, rarely presses charges.... and when we do.... omg its hardcore 100% balls to the wall....

What you said is so innocent but you know?  Thats what they all say.  To beat this you will need a good lawyer.  You will never be bondable with this on your record.

aprilsalcro
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:01 AM
I think just think it will go on your record. Again I think I know nothing about it so don't take me seriously. Call a lawyer and ask what will most likely happen . Gl
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ETHANMASONMOMMY
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:14 AM
Oh please...people steal everyday and nothing is done...if more was done people prob wouldnt do it ad much..This is not the end of the world for her. Good luck op

Quoting grey7399:

My store rarely confronts a known shoplifter, rarely presses charges.... and when we do.... omg its hardcore 100% balls to the wall....

What you said is so innocent but you know?  Thats what they all say.  To beat this you will need a good lawyer.  You will never be bondable with this on your record.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mes_deux_amours
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:19 AM
It's good you weren't arrested. Idk the protocol. Sucks such a simple mistake could be so damning. This is why when my 5 yo ds tries to stick items in my purse or bottom of the stroller I tell him no. I'd hate to be accused of something like that when it was not intentional.

Good luck op
grey7399
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:23 AM

Oh please yourself.  My point was that stores rarely go to this effort and when they do they rarely back down.  Only a good lawyer is going to help her now.

9 times out of 10 a retail store ignores grab & runs, making only minimal an token efforts at reporting a crime.

When they do go this route they go the WHOLE NINE YARDS.

Quoting ETHANMASONMOMMY:

Oh please...people steal everyday and nothing is done...if more was done people prob wouldnt do it ad much..This is not the end of the world for her. Good luck op

Quoting grey7399:

Seagodess
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:30 AM

I would assume they would drop your case or make you pay a fine.

I used to work security at Target, from the sounds of it, you were probably being watched from the second you walked in the door. Security looks closely at specific people. Parents with kids, bags, strollers and car seats are a big one. As hard as it might be to believe, it is very common for these people to shop lift. If your a adult it is policy for most places to call the police and have them deal with it from there. For minors (not that it applies for you, just saying) it is policy to call parents, and if they cant get a hold of them, or they wont come, police take them to juvenile hall.

Seagodess
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:33 AM

This may be the case for your store. However as I said in my previous post, I worked Target security and it was policy to call police for any adult shop lifters. Most the time they didn't get taken to jail because it was so small of a amount, but they would almost always get a ticket with a court date.

Quoting grey7399:

Oh please yourself.  My point was that stores rarely go to this effort and when they do they rarely back down.  Only a good lawyer is going to help her now.

9 times out of 10 a retail store ignores grab & runs, making only minimal an token efforts at reporting a crime.

Quoting ETHANMASONMOMMY:

Quoting grey7399:

grey7399
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:41 AM

How long ago was this?  because our target calls the police each & every time.

Quoting Seagodess:

This may be the case for your store. However as I said in my previous post, I worked Target security and it was policy to call police for any adult shop lifters. Most the time they didn't get taken to jail because it was so small of a amount, but they would almost always get a ticket with a court date.

Quoting grey7399:

Quoting ETHANMASONMOMMY:

Quoting grey7399:

Seagodess
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:49 AM

About 5 years ago. Yes they called the police, but that doesn't mean they were taken to jail everytime. For minors they only called the police if it was over a certain $ amount (dont remember what it was), or the parents wouldn't/couldn't come.

Quoting grey7399:

Quoting Seagodess:

Quoting grey7399:

Quoting ETHANMASONMOMMY:

Quoting grey7399:

grey7399
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Where exactly did you live that the police didn't mind being called for a case where the store had no intention of following up on?  Here, they get pissy when they're called out for parking lot accidents on private property and they have no jurisdiction over it.

Quoting Seagodess:

About 5 years ago. Yes they called the police, but that doesn't mean they were taken to jail everytime. For minors they only called the police if it was over a certain $ amount (dont remember what it was), or the parents wouldn't/couldn't come.

Quoting grey7399:

Quoting Seagodess:

Quoting grey7399:

Quoting ETHANMASONMOMMY:

Quoting grey7399:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)