Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I am a dog groomer, and was just reading an interesting post about pets that are adopted. I am curious if you (generally speaking) think most strays should be adopted to homes, or if they should be realistically evaluated and euthanized? It's jut that I see many pets that's have been adopted that maybe shouldn't have (IMO). Don't get me wrong, I see many that also make wonderful pets. My thought is that often times animal lovers and activists are so busy trying to save as many pets as they can, that often dogs that aren't suitable for rehoming, are rehomed, making for a bad situation (and possibly dangerous) for both pet and new owner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Replies (11-20):
lovinmykiddo07
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:04 PM

Quoting kryptomom:

I have no problem with euthanization. They are animals, after all, and it's humane to end their life without inflicting torture they may endure. Same goes for those who are a danger to humans. It's sad that a human probably made them that way though.

SOME places still euthenize with gas tho, and I think that is VERY inhumane. 

OP-I agree that they should be evaluated. And if they are a threat to humans then yes, they should be put down, but in a humane way. Not by being throwin in a gas box. 

Whisper85
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:09 PM
Well IMO and I'm sure I'll get bashed for it. If people weren't so careless and spayed or neutered their animals there wouldn't be this problem. Now with that said I've worked in a place that helped abused animals find homes and helped them.I couldn't imagine not having my rescue. I got her many years ago bit she was killed. If someone didn't speak for her I wouldn't have had that beautiful dog. She got me through some rough times.

Now as much as I'm going to regret this some dogs do need to be put to sleep. Like for aggressive behavior and such. It saddens me because most of the time it was trained to do so. Not saying that all animals get that way because of it but the majority. Its not an animals fault kwim... okay I'm out I hope you can kinda see what I'm trying to say?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Earth_Mama90
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:10 PM
Idk. I think that all animals should have a chance
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriLou75
by Lori on May. 5, 2012 at 8:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I do totally get what you are saying, but regardless of it being a persons "fault" or not, if an animal is not going to make a good pet, IMO, we shouldn't waste time and resources (which are scarcer than ever) on trying to get it into the "perfect" home. I find it kind of ridiculous to see the animals for adoption ALL have tons of restrictions on the home it needs. I can't help but wonder how many "good" animals are being turned away from the shelter (due to lack of space and resources) and having to be euthanized because we can't find homes for the 20 dogs there all needing someone at home, with no kids, able to exercise daily, groom weekly, and not have visitors. KWIM?

Also, I TOTALLY agree that people need to be more responsible!~ Spay and neuter, stop buying designer dogs (or purebreeds for that matter), train your pets, get them vet care....I could go on all day lol! Also, gas should not be used, EVER, it is barbaric!!

Quoting Whisper85:

Well IMO and I'm sure I'll get bashed for it. If people weren't so careless and spayed or neutered their animals there wouldn't be this problem. Now with that said I've worked in a place that helped abused animals find homes and helped them.I couldn't imagine not having my rescue. I got her many years ago bit she was killed. If someone didn't speak for her I wouldn't have had that beautiful dog. She got me through some rough times.

Now as much as I'm going to regret this some dogs do need to be put to sleep. Like for aggressive behavior and such. It saddens me because most of the time it was trained to do so. Not saying that all animals get that way because of it but the majority. Its not an animals fault kwim... okay I'm out I hope you can kinda see what I'm trying to say?

“If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed”.

-Albert Einstein

LoriLou75
by Lori on May. 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM

A quality food may help (like Blue Buffalo or Taste Of The Wild). It is usually an "inside" problem, but is very common. Sorry, I know not much help...

Quoting MommeeTo4:

Oh, and can anything be done for my pugs smelly feet? They smell like Fritos. And they have a lot of hair between his toes, I tried trimming it, but he freaks . Can anything be done?

“If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed”.

-Albert Einstein

SpikedMango
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:36 PM

I think it's one of those things where each individual situation is different.

LoriLou75
by Lori on May. 5, 2012 at 8:37 PM

Great to see asnother groomer here!!

Quoting meghs822:

You're funny! A lot of pugs hate having their feet touched!

I'm a groomer too! I agree with you about evaluating them
Before rehoming them!

Quoting MommeeTo4:

Oh, and can anything be done for my pugs smelly feet? They smell like Fritos. And they have a lot of hair between his toes, I tried trimming it, but he freaks . Can anything be done?

-Albert Einstein

LoriLou75
by Lori on May. 5, 2012 at 8:39 PM

BTW- LOVE your siggy! Your cat is gorgeous (ds is a cutie also!) OMG....those EYES!

Quoting lovinmykiddo07:

Quoting kryptomom:

I have no problem with euthanization. They are animals, after all, and it's humane to end their life without inflicting torture they may endure. Same goes for those who are a danger to humans. It's sad that a human probably made them that way though.

SOME places still euthenize with gas tho, and I think that is VERY inhumane. 

OP-I agree that they should be evaluated. And if they are a threat to humans then yes, they should be put down, but in a humane way. Not by being throwin in a gas box. 

-Albert Einstein

Whisper85
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM
I have a letter from a Guy that works in a pound and the gas is still legal in his state. That letter really got to me. Like I said I worked in a place that helped abused animals. There are places for them and I am grateful and I am also glad I could help as well. You would be surprised about how a dog looks or acts when you first get them can turn around and trust a human in a day or two. I'm sure it's scary for them. I see your point as well. Too many animals are being put down regardless if they are good or bad. I grieve for them. It hurts my heart. Alot of those good animals were owner relinquished so they are put down first. It's just sad....

Quoting LoriLou75:

I do totally get what you are saying, but regardless of it being a persons "fault" or not, if an animal is not going to make a good pet, IMO, we shouldn't waste time and resources (which are scarcer than ever) on trying to get it into the "perfect" home. I find it kind of ridiculous to see the animals for adoption ALL have tons of restrictions on the home it needs. I can't help but wonder how many "good" animals are being turned away from the shelter (due to lack of space and resources) and having to be euthanized because we can't find homes for the 20 dogs there all needing someone at home, with no kids, able to exercise daily, groom weekly, and not have visitors. KWIM?

Also, I TOTALLY agree that people need to be more responsible!~ Spay and neuter, stop buying designer dogs (or purebreeds for that matter), train your pets, get them vet care....I could go on all day lol! Also, gas should not be used, EVER, it is barbaric!!

Quoting Whisper85:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
waffa
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:43 PM

Not all animals are suitable for adoption & should be evaluated, BUT they should be given the chance to show they CAN change (if they have bad traits) before being put down.

All my animals have come from either shelter or found on the street. I have a cat who was feral & is now settled in with us (hides under the bed when strangers come around still though). Got him at about a year old n& is about 3 now. If you work with them they can change, but it isn't easy so many people give up too soon.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)