Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club
I am a dog groomer, and was just reading an interesting post about pets that are adopted. I am curious if you (generally speaking) think most strays should be adopted to homes, or if they should be realistically evaluated and euthanized? It's jut that I see many pets that's have been adopted that maybe shouldn't have (IMO). Don't get me wrong, I see many that also make wonderful pets. My thought is that often times animal lovers and activists are so busy trying to save as many pets as they can, that often dogs that aren't suitable for rehoming, are rehomed, making for a bad situation (and possibly dangerous) for both pet and new owner.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 5, 2012 at 7:42 PM
Replies (21-30):
MamatoKy
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM
Evaluate...n if possible rehome them. If they are aggressive or whatever then yes humanely euthanuzing them is the best option
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamatoKy
by Silver Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:45 PM
My dogs feet smell like fritos too lol

Quoting MommeeTo4:

Funny thing is I'm serious.

I googled frito feet on dogs and it said hairy toes can cause that smell lol

Quoting meghs822:

You're funny! A lot of pugs hate having their feet touched!

I'm a groomer too! I agree with you about evaluating them

Before rehoming them!

Quoting MommeeTo4:

Oh, and can anything be done for my pugs smelly feet? They smell like Fritos. And they have a lot of hair between his toes, I tried trimming it, but he freaks . Can anything be done?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wildlilacs
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:46 PM
Unfortunately it will he pitts and other "bully dogs" that will be put down first rather than try to find a good home. Its the wee, yappy, mean dogs that shelters will try to save. We need more Ceasers that take time to rehab so called bad dogs
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Young_Mommy89
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:48 PM
Hmmmm, I've never gotten a bad dog from the pound
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriLou75
by Lori on May. 5, 2012 at 8:51 PM

If resources were unlimited, it would be great. However, we do not have unlimited resourses, and I see a lot of dogs that honestly should not have been adopted out. I know there are many more taking up space in shelters that COULD be used to house a adoptable dog instead. My local SPCA is hit so hard by funding cuts and lack of donations they have had to make serious cuts. They can't even do abuse investigations anymore because iof the lack of resources. Yet, I know at least half the dogs they have for adoption have very tight restrictions on the type of home they can be placed into. It just seems like we are trying to save too many, and the ones that actually CAN be saved are being sacrificed because of the realities of our economy.

Quoting waffa:

Not all animals are suitable for adoption & should be evaluated, BUT they should be given the chance to show they CAN change (if they have bad traits) before being put down.

All my animals have come from either shelter or found on the street. I have a cat who was feral & is now settled in with us (hides under the bed when strangers come around still though). Got him at about a year old n& is about 3 now. If you work with them they can change, but it isn't easy so many people give up too soon.

“If people are good only because they fear punishment, and hope for reward, then we are a sorry lot indeed”.

-Albert Einstein

Young_Mommy89
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM
Where do we draw the line on aggression tho? Many places put animals down for food aggression which is ridiculous to me, I've only met ONE dog who wasn't food aggressive in any way & that's my boxer mix.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on May. 5, 2012 at 8:52 PM

I am VERY torn on that. I understand a bad or dangerous sitution should be avoided but  I have had 2 pooches that were "less than ideal" (one recently passed away). I adopted both of them as amputees when they had been passed up by many others.  I would really hope that dogs with physical defects would be given the benefit of the doubt.

waffa
by on May. 5, 2012 at 8:58 PM

Very valid point.

Luckily, where I live, our local non-profit shelter(s) have plenty of donors who can fund the retraining where they need to, but I can understand your point that not all areas have that kind of support.

Basically it boils down to people need to be responsible pet owners who spay/neuter and socialize their animals. Makes me mad to see "backyard" dogs or cats who never actually interact with the family.

Quoting LoriLou75:

If resources were unlimited, it would be great. However, we do not have unlimited resourses, and I see a lot of dogs that honestly should not have been adopted out. I know there are many more taking up space in shelters that COULD be used to house a adoptable dog instead. My local SPCA is hit so hard by funding cuts and lack of donations they have had to make serious cuts. They can't even do abuse investigations anymore because iof the lack of resources. Yet, I know at least half the dogs they have for adoption have very tight restrictions on the type of home they can be placed into. It just seems like we are trying to save too many, and the ones that actually CAN be saved are being sacrificed because of the realities of our economy.

Quoting waffa:

Not all animals are suitable for adoption & should be evaluated, BUT they should be given the chance to show they CAN change (if they have bad traits) before being put down.

All my animals have come from either shelter or found on the street. I have a cat who was feral & is now settled in with us (hides under the bed when strangers come around still though). Got him at about a year old n& is about 3 now. If you work with them they can change, but it isn't easy so many people give up too soon.

MommeeTo4
by Livin w NF1 on May. 5, 2012 at 8:59 PM
He eats NutriSource premium
That is what the breeder had him on.

It is pricey, 20$ for a 5lb bag

Quoting LoriLou75:

A quality food may help (like Blue Buffalo or Taste Of The Wild). It is usually an "inside" problem, but is very common. Sorry, I know not much help...

Quoting MommeeTo4:

Oh, and can anything be done for my pugs smelly feet? They smell like Fritos. And they have a lot of hair between his toes, I tried trimming it, but he freaks . Can anything be done?

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MommeeTo4
by Livin w NF1 on May. 5, 2012 at 9:00 PM
1 mom liked this
At least I'm not alone.

Quoting MamatoKy:

My dogs feet smell like fritos too lol

Quoting MommeeTo4:

Funny thing is I'm serious.

I googled frito feet on dogs and it said hairy toes can cause that smell lol

Quoting meghs822:

You're funny! A lot of pugs hate having their feet touched!

I'm a groomer too! I agree with you about evaluating them

Before rehoming them!

Quoting MommeeTo4:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)