Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

*EDITED* I'm very PROUD of myself, and I wanted to share...

Posted by   + Show Post

I just got done prepping, cooking, serving, and then cleaning up dinner for a group of 150 fathers and their children! The prepping and cooking was done by two of us: the Director of Food and Nutrition and myself. The rest of the camp staff helped us with serving and clean-up. I never thought I'd be able to work in a kitchen, because of the chaos. I won't lie, it was chaotic. At times I felt awkward and out of place, but this is one of my first times working there so it was expected. It definetly had it's 'new job' vibe for a little while, but there was so much that needed to be done it wasn't too bad! I enjoyed the fast pace of it all. 

LOL Neeeevverr would have I guessed I could have done that! Not in a million years.

Oh, and I also FINALLY found out what I was making. I asked my boss (aka camp director) how much I was making during clean-up. Annnd guess what???? $10 DOLLARS AN HOUR!!! Yay!!!!!

:)

*EDIT SUNDAY* I DID IT! I survived this week!! I made it through my dh's surgery,and the worst of his recovery (hopefully!). I survived working one job 22 hours in 4 days. I got the kids to and from school every single day. My house is (relatively and I think understandably) CLEAN. Annnnd I prepared, cooked, and cleaned up for dinner AND breakfast as a group of 150 men and children ate in a cafeteria setting. AND I started at 5:30 am by cleaning the camp for the cleaning company, and clocking in an hour later at the camp to do breakfast!!! 

WOOOHOOO!!! That's 30 HOURS this week! And my a surgery! Not too fucking bad, if I don't say so myself.

Oh, I might go into the ER today. My friggin' lymph nodes / thyroid or something looks like I have baby balloons growing in my neck. I feel alright, I guess but my throat is kinda sore and tender. More annoying then anything, and if it's some sign of an infection I'd rather nip it in the butt now. I have no time to be sick!

by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:32 PM
Replies (51-51):
Mom2Jake08
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Clearly you know it all then.  I just think it's rude to put down OP when she's excited to make $10/hour.  Carry on though.

Quoting JadedFaerie:

I have plenty of friends and family there lol. I know that McDonalds over there has gigantic meals which are as cheap as chips.

Quoting Mom2Jake08:

Well, there you go.  If you haven't been here and don't know our cost of living, which varies by state, too, you can't really make a good judgment on how far $10/hour goes. :)

Quoting JadedFaerie:

Nope and have no intention any time soon. My dads house is worth about $320k but was 75K when he bought it. I find us is usually 98c to our dollar or some such. 

Quoting Mom2Jake08:

You and I both know (assuming you know a little about the US) that it's rare that they're one-to-one like that.  I have in-laws that live there.  My FIL's house is a four to five hundred thousand dollar house, and ours is way nicer and nowhere near that price.  Even general items, like food and clothes, are lots more expensive there.

Have you ever been to the US?

Quoting JadedFaerie:

I'll just see what AUD is against USD at the moment.

1.023 USD - 1 AUD at the moment.

It's not that expensive here lol, though i admit, surviving on $10 an hour is near impossible here.

Quoting Mom2Jake08:

Keep in mind that your dollar is different than ours, and cost of living is astronomically higher in Australia (my DH is from there).

Congrats, OP.

Quoting JadedFaerie:

Quoting .BREE.:

Quoting JadedFaerie:

Only $10??? 

That's outrageous!

Not for an entry level position in my state. Minimum wage is $7.40, and the most I've ever earned an hour is $8.50 right after I had my DD. So, yes, I'll take $10 with big smiles :)

Right. Min wage here in Aus is $15 and the average wage where I am is about $20 p/hr

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)