Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Just because a child makes the cut off doesnt mean he/she should go.......

Posted by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM
  • 68 Replies

my ds is in kindergarten but he will be 7 yrs in july which makes him the oldest child in his class. Just because a kid makes the cut off don't mean he/she should start kindergarten. Its a known fact boys tend to do alot better if held back a year. I'm tried of people telling me i should have my almost 7 yr old in 1st grade going into 2nd in the fall when they dont have any idea what we have been thought to get him where he is now. When i took him for kindergarten testing when he was 4 he testing very very low in all areas except play. The school told me they didn't think it was a good idea i put him in kindergarten since he was so far behind. So they put him in a special program for kids like him they are very behind. I had to fight them for over 5 months to test his speech cuz i knew he was very behind cuz at the time my 3 yr old was saying more words than him. They finally tested him only cuz they teacher bugged them to test him. The results where he was a very smart kid but his speech was very low and they had a IEP made for him. The past 1 1/2 years we have worked very hard on his speech and he is doing amazingly well but still isn't where he should be. So next time you shouldnt be so quick to judge on why a almost 7 yr old boy isnt in first grade

by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ninipanini
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:17 AM

Both of my kids were turning 6 when they started KDG.  They're late August and early Sept.  School starts here in August and the cutoff date is somewhere arou

In our state, the compulsory ed laws, say 7, so your little guy seems fine if you live in NE. LOL

As long as you think it's the right thing, I wouldn't worry about what others say.

I think it's better to start them late than have them repeat grades later. 

Our laws are changing though.  The cutoff date will be July 31 next year, it will make for smaller classes and the huge age gap in one KDG class(sometimes 18mos or more.)

lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:23 AM

Technically in our state a kid does not even have to start school till they are 7 years old

Young_Mommy89
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:24 AM
Eh...my dd is advanced for her age...I'm not worried
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
getoesuepastah
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:25 AM

i have the opposite problem, my dd wont start kindergarten till six because the cutoff is sept 1st and her bday is sept 25, and im pretty pissed about it, shes 31/2 years old and already tested on a second grade level for speech and academics and is already wearing a size 5 or 6 she looks and speaks like a first grader now at 3

sbreece
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:26 AM
Don't let anyone make you feel bad about raising your boy. He's your child and no one knows him like you do. Holding him back when he's not ready to go forward will not only help him academically but socially as well. Good luck mama :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sunshine2plus2
by Sunshine on May. 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM
My 10yo is in 5th grade. I was worried she would be behind as she just turned 5 two weeks before shr started kindergarten but shr has always had good grades and on the honor roll. Do whatever u feel is right.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
twobrownidgirlz
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:32 AM
i held my dd out a year her bday is in march so she turned 7 in kg i took alot of shit for it from the school and friends and family but i did not want her to struggle and she now is a first grader going into second and doing amazing i have no regrets she is the oldest but it does not seem to make a diff. your the parent you no whats rite
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
militarywife09
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM
Me either. Her preK teacher has told me a few times that she'll do awesome in school.

Quoting Young_Mommy89:

Eh...my dd is advanced for her age...I'm not worried

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kenre
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:34 AM
Same. Monkey will be 5 on the 25th and passed the cut off. I am having him test into a charter school to enter early. Preschool didnt know what to do with him with the academics.

Quoting getoesuepastah:

i have the opposite problem, my dd wont start kindergarten till six because the cutoff is sept 1st and her bday is sept 25, and im pretty pissed about it, shes 31/2 years old and already tested on a second grade level for speech and academics and is already wearing a size 5 or 6 she looks and speaks like a first grader now at 3

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jac77
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:37 AM
Go w your gut! I wish I would have. My DS was receiving services from the school for his speech & they really pushed me, saying it'd be best for him. Ultimately I should've trusted myself because, he wasn't ready & I had to hold him back in first grade. Now, he's right where he should be in every way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN