Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Just because a child makes the cut off doesnt mean he/she should go.......

Posted by   + Show Post

my ds is in kindergarten but he will be 7 yrs in july which makes him the oldest child in his class. Just because a kid makes the cut off don't mean he/she should start kindergarten. Its a known fact boys tend to do alot better if held back a year. I'm tried of people telling me i should have my almost 7 yr old in 1st grade going into 2nd in the fall when they dont have any idea what we have been thought to get him where he is now. When i took him for kindergarten testing when he was 4 he testing very very low in all areas except play. The school told me they didn't think it was a good idea i put him in kindergarten since he was so far behind. So they put him in a special program for kids like him they are very behind. I had to fight them for over 5 months to test his speech cuz i knew he was very behind cuz at the time my 3 yr old was saying more words than him. They finally tested him only cuz they teacher bugged them to test him. The results where he was a very smart kid but his speech was very low and they had a IEP made for him. The past 1 1/2 years we have worked very hard on his speech and he is doing amazingly well but still isn't where he should be. So next time you shouldnt be so quick to judge on why a almost 7 yr old boy isnt in first grade

by on May. 5, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Replies (21-30):
Maisy08
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:45 AM
I would never send a child to school too soon, my 5 year old will be six in June and she will start school this fall. I would have never sent her last year. I feel that the majority of people that send their kids early are working parents that need a sitter. You can ripe me if you want but in the end I'm still right, you can say my child was ready or just so smart but I'm still right. Sorry
kcook55
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:46 AM

Quoting getoesuepastah:

i have the opposite problem, my dd wont start kindergarten till six because the cutoff is sept 1st and her bday is sept 25, and im pretty pissed about it, shes 31/2 years old and already tested on a second grade level for speech and academics and is already wearing a size 5 or 6 she looks and speaks like a first grader now at 3

my dd is the same shes 4 will be 5 in nov so she has to wait a year to go so im putting her in preschool in the fall

EsmeVincent
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:47 AM
Eh...ds is 4 and will start prek this Aug and will turn 5 in Dec...I am sure he will be one of the older kids in class. He is very smart and advanced for his age so I'm not real worried.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mom2monsterboys
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:48 AM
My 8 (9 in June) yr old son started k as a young 5. He never had any school before and has done amazing in learning and social aspects of school. I couldn't imagine holding my boys back unless they really seemed to struggle.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
rmfanfgljf
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:48 AM
No, if she doesn't push to graduate sooner she will turn 19 two months before graduation. My youngest dd will be 18 almost 19 when she graduates too unless she wants to graduate early also.

Quoting beerebelly:

Quoting rmfanfgljf:

I haven't had any one judge me or look at me weird. My oldest dd just turned 7 last month and is in kinder. This is her second year and she has done great. My youngest dd will be 6 in August and will go for another year in kinder also, I am trying to get them into a different school that will start testing. My oldest I believe is ok, she is in speech therapy for a lanuage disability. My youngest dd I beleive is either adds, adhd, or possible autistic. She may possibly have a processing disorder as well. My oldest I thought at one point had dislyxia(sp). I imagine my son too will spend 2 years in kinder but he may surprise us.

So your dd will graduate HS at 20 years old???

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cymbeline
by Spock's 2nd Cousin on May. 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM

Quoting Young_Mommy89:

Eh...my dd is advanced for her age...I'm not worried

That's not always something by which one can go. My ds was counting to 100 by age 2 and reading before age 4, and I held him back a year. It was for social reasons.

Though, boys tend to have a more difficult time with socialization than girls.

"What is a man, if chief good, and market of his time be but to sleep and feed? A beast, no more."  Hamlet

xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:50 AM

My developmentally delayed daughter started kindergarten at 4.  She wont turn 7 until 2nd grade.  She also has an IEP and has been having a lot of extra help with speech and everything and she is excelling.  She is blowing away her peers with math and her reading is on a 2nd grade level.  I understand and respect your choice, but on the same token, just becuase there is a delay of some sort doesnt mean that they wont do well.

RobinBright
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:51 AM
That's exactly how I went through school. NY cut off is Dec 31 so each kindergarten class is basically just everyone who was born in the same calendar year. I have a November birthday, so I started kinder at 4 years 10 months, high school at 13, college at 17. It's normal here. I had never heard of a 7 year old kindergartener until CM.

Quoting davnrori:

My DD1 will be 8 in Nov. and she will be in 3rd grade for the 2012/2013 school year. She went to Kdg in Hawaii, where they don't really have a cut-off date. As long as you turn 5 sometime from Jan 1-Dec31 then you can start. School starts in early Aug. and DD1 didn't turn 5 until Nov. of the year she started kdg. When we moved to OH she was by far the youngest kid in her class. Some of her 2nd grade classmates are 9yrs old! However, she reads at a 6th grade level and does math at a 7th grade level and takes seperate classes for those. The school wanted to skip her but there was no way I was going to let her be moved up. It might not matter much when she's in elementary school but once she gets into HS, the age difference would be nothing but trouble. I don't want my 14yr old 10th grader mixing with 17 or 18yr olds. Nope, not gonna happen. Luckily, DD1 goes to a school where they are willing to work with the parents to come up with 'enhanced' classes.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrS.GiFFord
by Brittany on May. 6, 2012 at 9:51 AM
My youngest wont be in Kinder until he is almost 6! He missed the cut off by 6 days. I think he is ready for school so I am putting in pre k for the time being.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sqrocket
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM

There has actually been a studying done (read about it in the news a month or so ago) that shows that starting children later in school is usually a good thing because they are more mature and will get more out of the experience. The study found this to be expecially true for boys. So, I think you did/are doing the absolute right thing :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN