Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

From my rapist and his family...they are Amish. Well I guess I am not, they all have FB accounts. I was contacted by one of his sisters today, I am ignoring the message. 

by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Replies (81-85):
momswag
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

Every Amish order is different. Those who are uneducated on the practices of the Amish assume that every Amish is Old Order which is for the most part void of all technology, including indoor plumbing but it is up to their bishop what they can use.

Many Amish who own businesses are allowed to have electricity, phone and even the internet. They may use cars as well. Then if you have an Amish teen going through their Rumspringa or 'running around years' they can do whatever they please, including using technology and making a facebook account. 

Why did she contact you? I am sorry you do not feel safe!

Caitlin10081989
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 1:56 PM

Ignore the message and keep the message for proof. 

2and2onway
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 2:05 PM

Quoting momswag:

Every Amish order is different. Those who are uneducated on the practices of the Amish assume that every Amish is Old Order which is for the most part void of all technology, including indoor plumbing but it is up to their bishop what they can use.

Many Amish who own businesses are allowed to have electricity, phone and even the internet. They may use cars as well. Then if you have an Amish teen going through their Rumspringa or 'running around years' they can do whatever they please, including using technology and making a facebook account. 

Why did she contact you? I am sorry you do not feel safe!

She contacted me to tell me her mother passed away. I already knew through my niece who hauls Amish. The family is really nice, I just was shocked.

la_bella_vita
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 6:34 PM

I had to block my rapist's family. They were using FB to try and contact me. I blocked them and made my account unsearchable

dbren0510
by on May. 15, 2012 at 11:35 PM

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting specialwingz:

Amish do not choose to use modern technology.  Mennonites, on the other hand, are Amish who went against the technology beliefs.  Kind of like the Episcopalians branched off of the Catholics.

No these are Amish, I know my niece hauls them around as her job.

there are different levels of conservatism in the amish community, just as there is in the mennonite community. that is definitely not the only difference between amish and mennonite... also, the amish branched from the mennonite faith, not the other way around. i absolutely do not consider myself amish with the convenience of technology.

op, i am so sorry that this happened to you and that you have to deal with this.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN