Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

From my rapist and his family...they are Amish. Well I guess I am not, they all have FB accounts. I was contacted by one of his sisters today, I am ignoring the message. 

by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:26 PM
Replies (41-50):
newfound09
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM
They are Amish. I know exactly who the OP is talking about...

Quoting Ireallydontcare:

Then they are not Amish

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ireallydontcare
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:45 PM
1 mom liked this

You can still grieve her death. It has nothing to do with what her son did to you. Try and keep it separate. I know it will be hard.

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting shayleo1:

Oh wow, what nerve she has contacting you

Her mom died today, I used to be close to them, but have not had any contact since they paid to get their brother off scott free after he admitted what he did. I have mixed feelings. His mom was such a nice lady, but I have such anger too.

Crunchy Ideas

2and2onway
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Quoting newfound09:

Quoting Ireallydontcare:

Then they are not Amish

Do I know you? I have not spoken to the family in 6 yrs.

specialwingz
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Wow.  That is just crazy.  Not saying you are.  Just saying how they are so strongly turning against their own beliefs.

Quoting 2and2onway:

The entire Amish community here has some form of technology they use. Most have phone accounts with internet, the parents are buying video games for the kids and some have TV with VCRs. Yes, in my area the Amish use some technology, not just one or two of them but most of them.

Quoting specialwingz:

I am very aware of the differences.  I built my 1st house on the edge of an Amish community.  They actually pitched in and helped.  My best friends and neighbors were all Amish.  Many of the people in the closest town were Mennonites.  So, I am fully aware of the differences between the two.

I know this technology is not in the true Amish home or community.  But, there is nothing stopping them from sneaking to a public library and getting on a computer there.  There are always those who buck their family ways.

Quoting newfound09:

They are Amish. I liver in the same area as the op. I also live in an area with mennonites there are obvious differences.

Op just block them.

Quoting specialwingz:

Amish do not choose to use modern technology.  Mennonites, on the other hand, are Amish who went against the technology beliefs.  Kind of like the Episcopalians branched off of the Catholics.

Ireallydontcare
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:47 PM

Sorry, but I mean is that they are not true Amish. The "orthodox" Amish would never allow such behavior as Facebook, Gameboys, Ds's and such. I wasn't trying to imply that she was lying or anything.

Quoting newfound09:

Quoting Ireallydontcare:

Then they are not Amish

Crunchy Ideas

2and2onway
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 10:48 PM

I used to live in NJ and PA and would visit the Amish area, there they are very strict. The men would not even look at us women, they wont let you take pictures, they dont take rides or use technology etc. When I moved here I was shocked.

Quoting specialwingz:

Wow.  That is just crazy.  Not saying you are.  Just saying how they are so strongly turning against their own beliefs.

Quoting 2and2onway:

The entire Amish community here has some form of technology they use. Most have phone accounts with internet, the parents are buying video games for the kids and some have TV with VCRs. Yes, in my area the Amish use some technology, not just one or two of them but most of them.

Quoting specialwingz:

I am very aware of the differences.  I built my 1st house on the edge of an Amish community.  They actually pitched in and helped.  My best friends and neighbors were all Amish.  Many of the people in the closest town were Mennonites.  So, I am fully aware of the differences between the two.

I know this technology is not in the true Amish home or community.  But, there is nothing stopping them from sneaking to a public library and getting on a computer there.  There are always those who buck their family ways.

Quoting newfound09:

They are Amish. I liver in the same area as the op. I also live in an area with mennonites there are obvious differences.

Op just block them.

Quoting specialwingz:

Amish do not choose to use modern technology.  Mennonites, on the other hand, are Amish who went against the technology beliefs.  Kind of like the Episcopalians branched off of the Catholics.

specialwingz
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:50 PM

I kind of see that like a Jewish community that chooses to rebel and eat pork!  And, I am NOT meaning to offend anyone.  I have studied and lived Judaism due to my ex-husband.  I'm just giving a comparison.

Quoting 2and2onway:

I used to live in NJ and PA and would visit the Amish area, there they are very strict. The men would not even look at us women, they wont let you take pictures, they dont take rides or use technology etc. When I moved here I was shocked.

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting newfound09:

Op just block them.

Quoting specialwingz:

2and2onway
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2012 at 10:52 PM

I come from a reform Jewish home, yep my Rabbi ate sausage pizza in the Synagauge. I used to laugh all the time. I babysat a conservative Jewish family who kept kosher, its a pain in the rear lol

Quoting specialwingz:

I kind of see that like a Jewish community that chooses to rebel and eat pork!  And, I am NOT meaning to offend anyone.  I have studied and lived Judaism due to my ex-husband.  I'm just giving a comparison.

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting newfound09:

Op just block them.

Quoting specialwingz:

singletiredmom
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Yea. I live in Pa and have never seen an Amish person with any piece of technology. I've never even seen a Mennonite with a cell phone in this area. It must be a different world there. Lol

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting newfound09:

Op just block them.

Quoting specialwingz:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
specialwingz
by on May. 5, 2012 at 10:54 PM

That is just TOO TOO funny!  And, yes, a Kosher home is an extreme PITA!  LOL.

Quoting 2and2onway:

I come from a reform Jewish home, yep my Rabbi ate sausage pizza in the Synagauge. I used to laugh all the time. I babysat a conservative Jewish family who kept kosher, its a pain in the rear lol

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting 2and2onway:

Quoting specialwingz:

Quoting newfound09:

Op just block them.

Quoting specialwingz:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN