Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Help me, please.

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:59 AM
  • 27 Replies
When I was young, I was scarred for life by a strong storm while staying in a trailer. It was my mamaws trailer and I was scared shitless. It felt like the roof was going to blow off and I remember the trailer shaking a bit. Pretty scary for a little girl!
Well, since then I refuse to be in a trailer during a storm and have refused to ever live in one.
My hubby and I are home hunting and he is trying to warm me up to the idea of a modular home. I know "trailer" type homes are much safer than they used to be and it was only a single wide I was staying in at the time, but it was enough to make me terrified of anything that isn't on a foundation during a storm (of course I know severe weather can destroy any type of building equally, I just "feel" safer in foundation buildings)
What I need from you ladies is the benefits and advice of living in a modular. Is it really cheaper? ARE they better built and able to withstand severe weather better?
Please help convince me that I'm being overly afraid and I should let my guard down. I've tried to do a little research on them, but I feel I can get better advice from people who have lived in them or know more about them in general.
by on May. 6, 2012 at 1:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
3pippings
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:00 AM
1 mom liked this

Bump.

AshandJax
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:02 AM

BUMP!

M88nlight
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:02 AM
1 mom liked this
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AshandJax
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:03 AM
Sorry, I ment manufactured homes. Double wide, actually. I would hope we could put it on a foundation.
I don't k ow much about these things, however.
AshandJax
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:04 AM

BUMP!

AshandJax
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:06 AM

BUMP!

Lorelai_Nicole
by Lorelai on May. 6, 2012 at 2:07 AM
I get what you mean about homes not on a foundation. My stepgrandmother lives in Oklahoma and her home is...I don't know what it's called but it's a good 3 (cement) steps off the ground. Scary as hell in a storm.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
grey7399
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:09 AM

no they aren't.  they are heavier than the old trailers - sorta but really they will fly away and roll over faster than a site built home secured in a foundation.

I hate to do your hubby in on this argument but unless the manufactured home is built over a basement, you aren't safe.  

Look up VA (i think thats what its called) foundation.  thats the manufactured home version of a permanent construction.

AshandJax
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:12 AM
Quoting Lorelai_Nicole:

I get what you mean about homes not on a foundation. My stepgrandmother lives in Oklahoma and her home is...I don't know what it's called but it's a good 3 (cement) steps off the ground. Scary as hell in a storm.

My mamaws was in Arkansas and as far as I know it's still there.
I know things seem to effect you more vividly as a child... I was about 8 when this happened. My hubby has lived in single wides before and he thinks I'm being dumb.... But he wasn't a sensitive little girl who was scared of a lot of things, either, lol.
I do feel a little better about them now, but I still feel I'm going to end up at my parents house with every little dark cloud that rolls in, lol.
I need to be reassured, I guess. People have lived in them for many, many years...
Tinkerbellmama
by on May. 6, 2012 at 2:13 AM

It depends where you live. In my area (Washington state) there are no safety issues. If you live in an area where you have tornados, NO EFFING WAY!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN