Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Moms with hamster edit!

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:20 AM
  • 3 Replies
How in the hell do I catch the damn things to clean the cage with out it biting me. Dd had had this hamster a month and several times I have held it and played wit it ith no issues well I am trying to clean the cage and I catch the ill fucker and it bite me 6 times . HELP!

Edit. I figured out how to take of the wheel while he was in it ( it attaches to the cage not just in it). And traped him in the carry cage
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:20 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
DChristoff
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:23 AM

I have no idea...Both my DDs hamsters do not bite...But we handle them every day...My DH puts them in a ball when we clean their cages out...Maybe try that??

kansasmom1978
by Katie on May. 6, 2012 at 3:24 AM

A paper towel roll.  You place it in their cage, when they climb in pick it up.  The more you handle them the nicer they get.

luvmymonkeys27
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:27 AM

I don't know.... our hamster has never bitten anybody. I think the trick might be to make sure that when you pick her up look for any warning  signs that she's distressed-- like, if she's just woken up wait to pick her up until her ears are perked up (not lying flat against her head) and she appears wide awake. If you've been chasing her around the cage to get her, wait a while so she's not freaking out... oh, and when you pick her up, come in from the sides with two hands and kind of cup her up, as opposed to grabbing her. If all that fails, I suppose you could put some treats in a little container and get her to walk into that, and the transport her to her ball or whatever you keep her in when you clean the cage... although that won't really help with taming her. Good luck! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)