Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Someone please settle this argument

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM
  • 79 Replies
So last night we are sitting around our campfire and about 11:30 a friend of ours walks up to our site with her newborn baby.... He's aprox a month old and she sits down and we are all talking and next thing I know she whips out a beer and cracks it open..... Ok so some moms just need to cut loose a little I understand but with a newborn? So that was the first debate we had when she left. Next debate is as we were conversing she proceded to tell my cousin about her nursing difficulties and what not.... I didn't nurse my kids due to personal issues so I'm not an expert but I thought alcohol absorbed in your system and could be in your breast milk if you drank? I questioned her about it and she said one or 2 beers wouldn't make a difference. I think I made her mad questioning her because she got up and left. Who's right????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tigress22304
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM

uhm yeah the beer will get into her breastmilk....and it could affect the baby.....you can ask ANY doctor that question

Jaxsonsmama2009
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:52 AM
There is nothing wrong with enjoying a responsible 1-2 drinks around your kids. As far as the breast feeding thing, there are safe ways to drink and breast feed, but with her already having issues I would think it would be more complicated for her to follow the 'rules' on that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
sandra_t00
by ChaChi on May. 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM
3 moms liked this
Some people don't drink to get drunk. They drink because they like the taste. there is nothing wrong with drinking a single beer while having a newborn. As long as the mom doesn't get tipsy or drunk.

I drank a beer once in a while to help with my supply while BF
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Susan262
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:53 AM
1 mom liked this

Your def right.  Nobody should be drinking at all and breastfeeding.

stellarmom1
I don't think a beer or two is that big of a deal. I don't think she should be drinking and breastfeeding though. I hope she was planning on pumping and dumping.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
NightPhoenix
You should not bf when alcohol is involved.

OT: Your sn and mention of campfire made me think of Talladega. Are you a nascar fan? No offense.. I'm a fan!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brettsmomma
by Tammie on May. 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM
5 moms liked this

There was nothing wrong with what she did.. you were judgmental  :/  i would have let also.

Candymonster
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

According to my sister's doctor you can have one beer a day or something like that. My OB has told me the same thing; even though I don't drink and don't plan to. It's the same theory as the whole one glass of wine a day during pregnancy to me. You can have one glass of wine, you can have one beer while bfing. 

MountieMama
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM
I've asked doctors about this and have many nurse friends that I've also asked. The thing I've heard most commonly is that it takes 2 hours after you finish your drink to get it out of your system. But I also heard as little as 1 hour and as long as 8. The few drinks I had while nursing were directly after bed time feed which would give me 6+ hours before the next.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LexRi0709
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:55 AM
Wow. That is a special person. Drinking 1 beer with baby in tow, no biggie. The fact that she probably didn't pump and dump is a major problem! Bfing moms are almost as restricted as pregnant women because almost everything is transfered through breastmilk. I'm sorry but you have a complete moron friend.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)