Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Someone please settle this argument

Posted by   + Show Post
So last night we are sitting around our campfire and about 11:30 a friend of ours walks up to our site with her newborn baby.... He's aprox a month old and she sits down and we are all talking and next thing I know she whips out a beer and cracks it open..... Ok so some moms just need to cut loose a little I understand but with a newborn? So that was the first debate we had when she left. Next debate is as we were conversing she proceded to tell my cousin about her nursing difficulties and what not.... I didn't nurse my kids due to personal issues so I'm not an expert but I thought alcohol absorbed in your system and could be in your breast milk if you drank? I questioned her about it and she said one or 2 beers wouldn't make a difference. I think I made her mad questioning her because she got up and left. Who's right????
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:49 AM
Replies (21-30):
CABZS
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:05 AM
1 mom liked this

Why the issue drinking w/the baby or kids around?

She isn't getting drunk, no big deal.

As for drinking and breast feeding, it doesn't go into the system right away & does eventually leave the system, plus she may have pumped a bit already.

There are safe ways to have a drink or 2 and still breastfeed.

CABZS
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

Wrong.

Maybe if more had proper  education & advice more would breastfeed or stick w/breastfeeding.

Quoting GraceHudson:

You should not bf when alcohol is involved.

myperfect4inok
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:08 AM
Quit being so judgemental.
Many doctors recommend a beer while bf
Maybe the new mom was have a hard time a it was suggested she drink beer.
As for the drinking she had one beer not a case.
Oh and next time you want to debate a parents choices maybe you should do it in from of them instead of talkin behind their backs. Some friend you are.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pristine729
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:10 AM
But would you drink and then breast feed?

Quoting brettsmomma:

There was nothing wrong with what she did.. you were judgmental  :/  i would have let also.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jrfan4evermom
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:11 AM
I wasn't trying to put her down.... Like I said I'm not an expert at breast feeding that's why I was asking.

Quoting davnrori:

When I was having extreme trouble with milk supply with DD1, my OB suggested that I drink a beer about 20 mins before breastfeeding. Alcohol helps you relax, which in turn helps milk 'let down'. She also said that the amt of alcohol in the breast milk is negligible but could end up helping the baby sleep longer. As long as you're sticking to one or two beers and not getting 'faced then there's no problem. Jesus, it's not like she was using a breast vein to mainline heroin for crying out loud. Give your 'friend' a break!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
brettsmomma
by Tammie on May. 6, 2012 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

I didn't. But I asked my dr when I was breastfeeding and she told me one or two wont hurt him. ? (Im sure cafemom drs have more proof against it but she has the medical degree and all) ... the fact of the matter is unless the lady was trashed its all a matter of choice.

Quoting pristine729:

But would you drink and then breast feed?

Quoting brettsmomma:

There was nothing wrong with what she did.. you were judgmental  :/  i would have let also.

kidlover2
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:13 AM
1 mom liked this
Certain types of beer are recommended for increasing your milk supply. One or two beers hardly affect the baby. If one wants to be extra cautious, they can just express that milk out before the next feeding. I drink in front of my 3,5, & 9 year old. It's called responsible drinking. Teach your children when they're young to enjoy drinks without needing to go to bars & get smashed

Quoting Candymonster:

According to my sister's doctor you can have one beer a day or something like that. My OB has told me the same thing; even though I don't drink and don't plan to. It's the same theory as the whole one glass of wine a day during pregnancy to me. You can have one glass of wine, you can have one beer while bfing. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
taramac
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:14 AM
Love your sn and i'm really hoping for a Jr victory today; it's been way too long!

Quoting jrfan4evermom:

Yes total NASCAR fan!!!! Lol

Quoting NightPhoenix:

You should not bf when alcohol is involved.

OT: Your sn and mention of campfire made me think of Talladega. Are you a nascar fan? No offense.. I'm a fan!

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
scperdomo
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
There is nothing wrong with what she did. For all you know, she had just fed the baby and would need to feed again for a couple hours, at which point the alcohol would most likely be out of her system. Even if there was still some left in her system, its not like the entire alcohol content of both beers ends up in her milk! Traces end up there, and if there were only traces left in her system, then even smaller amounts would end up in the milk.

Anyway, there are ways to drink and nurse as long as its done responsibly.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jridgill
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:15 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't see an issue with what she did. Educate yourself on the matter. You would be surprised!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)