Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If you have a 7 year old.....Or one close to that age....

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM
  • 55 Replies

How much do they weigh? My 7 year old DS weighs 51 pounds...He is sickly skinny, I mean his bones poke out everywhere, it's nasty...he eats like a pig though, for breakfast he will have a huge bowl of cereal and 2 pop tarts, not sure how much he eats at school but if its something he likes he will eat a lot of dinner too. Not sure what to do. He is in Concerta for adhs and the doctors don't seem concernd but he is just so small....he is normal height for his age. He was 10 lbs 8 oz at birth and he's only gained 40 pounds in 7 years? I don't know what else to do for him....any suggestions?

by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:11 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Alliemad_3
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:12 AM
My 7 year old is somewhere around 45 lbs I think. She's not sickly skinny though. I'm guessing she's shorter than your son.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
davnrori
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

DD1 is 7yrs old, average height, and weighs 56lbs. She's thin but not disgustingly thin. When she was born she weighed 4.7lbs. She also eats like a horse. The only time I worry about her is when she gets sick because she doesn't like to eat then. She had a kidney infection and got down to 47lbs- she looked like an anorexic. So I fed her pediasure and protein shakes and that seemed to do the trick. My ped also suggested milk, icecream (full fat), peanut butter and protein powder mixed in the blender for weight gain.

LveMy2K1dS
by Kristi on May. 6, 2012 at 11:15 AM

It's so nasty, he might be a little taller than normal, he hasn't been to the peds in a while, but his legs and arms are so skinny it looks like you could snap him half, its so weird and when he arches his back, you can see every single rib and bone in him.

Quoting Alliemad_3:

My 7 year old is somewhere around 45 lbs I think. She's not sickly skinny though. I'm guessing she's shorter than your son.

rmfanfgljf
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:18 AM

my dd1 just turned 7, she weighs around 45 pounds but is short, she isn't skinny but she is far from fat too,

AngelCodysMom
by Tiffanie on May. 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Dd will be 7 in July. She is 4' 5" and weighs 33 pounds. She is such a twig. She has a normal appetite.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kris_PBG
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Well, if he looks like that and hasn't been to the ped. In a while, maybe you should take him...

My 7 y ear old son is average/above average for height and weighs around 53 lbs. He is lean with a slim build, but not at all underweight.

Quoting LveMy2K1dS:

It's so nasty, he might be a little taller than normal, he hasn't been to the peds in a while, but his legs and arms are so skinny it looks like you could snap him half, its so weird and when he arches his back, you can see every single rib and bone in him.

Quoting Alliemad_3:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jobo
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM
My grandson just turned 6 and weighs 70 lbs..not sure how tall but he is solid ,not fat..
Pnukey
by Jennifer on May. 6, 2012 at 11:20 AM

My son turned  7 yesterday. He weighs 42 pounds and is shorter than the other kids in his class. His friend, who is 8 only weighs 49 pounds, but it taller.

My doc is not concerned. His friend's doc is not concerned. His friend's mother and I are concerned!! We don't know how to bulk them up either.

TheBrewCrew6
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM

My DS is 6 1/2 and weighs 48 lbs. His 5 1/2 y/o brother weighs 52. They are total opposites. If it were my son, I would make an appt with his pediatrician and voice your concerns. It could be his thyroid, celiac disease, or just that he has a crazy high metabolism. I would also try to add some more protein to his diet, like eggs, or PediaSure. When my youngest DS was 1 he was diagnosed with 'failure to thrive'. 17 lbs at 1 yr, and his twins sister was 26 lbs. He was on prescription PediaSure (not exactly, but some kind of weight gainer) and I was advised to add cream to his milk and feed him whatever he wanted. He eventually evened out, he is still tiny, but healthy.

AngelCodysMom
by Tiffanie on May. 6, 2012 at 11:21 AM
And she was 2 pounds 6 ounces at birth.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)