Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Is this TRUE ?? Re; Atheists and State constitutions..

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM
  • 156 Replies

Is this true? I had never heard this before and am shocked. The claim is that many States require a belief in God to be a part of that states Offices.

LINK - http://www.godlessgeeks.com/LINKS/StateConstitutions2.htm

1. Excerpt from the North Carolina State Constitution
  2. ARTICLE VI. SUFFRAGE AND ELIGIBILITY TO OFFICE

Sec. 8. Disqualifications of office. The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God. …

3. Excerpt from the South Carolina State Constitution
  4. ARTICLE VI. OFFICERS. Section 2. Person denying existence of Supreme Being not to hold office.

No person who denies the existence of the Supreme Being shall hold any office under this Constitution.

5. Excerpt from the Texas State Constitution
  6. Article 1 - BILL OF RIGHTS.

Section 4. RELIGIOUS TESTS. No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

Article 16 - GENERAL PROVISIONS.

Section 1. OFFICIAL OATH.

(a) All elected and appointed officers, before they enter upon the duties of their offices, shall take the following Oath or Affirmation: "I, _______________________, do solemnly swear (or affirm), that I will faithfully execute the duties of the office of ___________________ of the State of Texas, and will to the best of my ability preserve, protect, and defend the Constitution and laws of the United States and of this State, so help me God."

(b) All elected or appointed officers, before taking the Oath or Affirmation of office prescribed by this section and entering upon the duties of office, shall subscribe to the following statement: "I, _______________________, do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I have not directly or indirectly paid, offered, promised to pay, contributed, or promised to contribute any money or thing of value, or promised any public office or employment for the giving or withholding of a vote at the election at which I was elected or as a reward to secure my appointment or confirmation, whichever the case may be, so help me God."

7. Excerpt from the Maryland State Constitution
  8. DECLARATION OF RIGHTS. Article 37.
    That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution.

9. Excerpt from the Tennessee State Constitution
  10. ARTICLE IX. DISQUALIFICATIONS. Section 2.

No person who denies the being of God, or a future state of rewards and punishments, shall hold any office in the civil department of this state.

“you know you’ve created God in your own image when God hates all the same people that you do”

by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tatum2U
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:00 PM

Bump

alwayskk
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:03 PM

I don't think so. And if it is, I don't think they actually follow it. I'm in Texas and I know we have atheists on our city council.

Tatum2U
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM

I really am not sure. I would think they would have removed this type of wording since constitutions aren't suppose to be pick and choose what you want to apply ..It's suppose to be what is followed kwim?

Maybe if I google them separately?

Quoting alwayskk:

I don't think so. And if it is, I don't think they actually follow it. I'm in Texas and I know we have atheists on our city council.

“you know you’ve created God in your own image when God hates all the same people that you do”

alwayskk
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:08 PM

Well, holy crap.

Sec. 4.  RELIGIOUS TESTS. No religious test shall ever be required as a qualification to any office, or public trust, in this State; nor shall any one be excluded from holding office on account of his religious sentiments, provided he acknowledge the existence of a Supreme Being.

http://www.statutes.legis.state.tx.us/

rgba
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM
1 mom liked this
It seems to be true, I just looked up NC.
I assume that they don't practice them. Plus, I did not look up the footnotes; there is a chance that the courts ruled it unconstitutional, but the wording stays put.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:09 PM
2 moms liked this

I guess I'm not going to law school after all.

Apparently, it doesn't matter how smart you are or how well you understand politics and government. If you don't believe in God, you aren't fit to serve.

This really disappoints me.

momofpreemieboy
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes god is in our country he is everywhere. I try to be like him but I'm not perfect. Why do people feel like he can't be here 

Tatum2U
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM

I was seriously surprised by this. I was googling for "coming out as an atheist" when I stumbled on this , I mean I didn't even know to look for it ! It goes against the Constitution of the US - right? How has this not been changed? I don't understand the law and politics nearly as well as I would like but this seems pretty f-ed up to me. I can't imagine it saying "One must NOT have a belief in god , Christianity , Judaism <sp?> etc  the out cry would be deafening.

It definitly seems to be true in more than a couple States and was even an issue for one man ( Cecil Bothwell- NC) 

LINK 

I’m not saying that Cecil Bothwell is not a good man, but if he’s an atheist, he’s not eligible to serve in public office, according to the state constitution,” said H.K. Edgerton, a former Asheville NAACP president.

Article 6, section 8 of the state constitution says: “The following persons shall be disqualified for office: First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God.”

It’s true — There are several state constitutions which hold such provisions: Arkansas, Maryland, Pennsylvania, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, and North Carolina.

But none of these laws are truly enforceable. They’re all (obviously) unconstitutional.

Edgerton may not even be the bad guy here. He’s just pointing out what the state law says:

“If they go ahead, then the city of Asheville and the board of elections could be liable for a lawsuit,” Edgerton said.

Maybe someone filing a lawsuit would be a good thing. Let someone fight over the law. Bothwell’s side should win the case (and I would think he’d have pro bono help from a group like the ACLU).

alwayskk
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

Yes god is in our country he is everywhere. I try to be like him but I'm not perfect. Why do people feel like he can't be here 

Can not is not the same thing as is not. Is it possible that a god exists? Of course, why would it not be possible?

I just don't believe there is one.

But I don't see what this has to do with the price of tea in China! I have better values than most of the "God-fearing" people I know!

Tatum2U
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 12:15 PM

Could you elaborate?

Quoting momofpreemieboy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)