Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Help with random swelling

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:03 PM
  • 7 Replies
My husband was sitting on the couch at around 5am yesterday morning and noticed that his bottom lip felt hot. He woke me up so I could look at it and the right side was swollen about 10X it's normal size. I gave him benadryl and we waited. He took a nap and when he woke up several hours later it was still just as big. I gave one more dose of benadrly and after another hour I called and made an appointment for urgent care. While waiting for the doctor a rash started on the inside of his elbows.

The doctor couldn't figure out what it was from but gave him a steroid shot and sent us home. By evening his lip was back to normal and the rash was gone. About 10am this morning he said his left ear was itching. I looked and it's bright red, hot and very swollen. He hasn't had anything to eat that was the same both nights and there are no other symptoms. I'm at a complete loss as to what could be causing this. Does anyone have any ideas?

I think I figured it out. He was taking an antibiotic that I had forgotten about. I think he is allergic to penicillin. I should have caught this immediately. I'm allergic too. At least we know now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
Zpugs
by on May. 6, 2012 at 12:05 PM
Hmmm...... change anything at the house? Any new medication? Allergic to certin bug bites? Thats all i can think of right now so bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on May. 6, 2012 at 1:00 PM
No new foods, meds or soap of any kind. I checked for bug bites and didn't find anything and neither did the doctor. I'm puzzled.

Quoting Zpugs:

Hmmm...... change anything at the house? Any new medication? Allergic to certin bug bites? Thats all i can think of right now so bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
itsblissmas
by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:47 PM

I have no idea but I sure hope they figure it out and he gets better soon.

bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on May. 6, 2012 at 4:29 PM
Me too. He's supposed to have a vasectomy in 2 weeks and I'm afraid they won't do it if this mess is still going on.

Quoting itsblissmas:

I have no idea but I sure hope they figure it out and he gets better soon.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on May. 6, 2012 at 11:40 PM
Bump for update
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HousewifeNina
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 11:56 PM
That's how I found out I am allergic to sulfa drugs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on May. 7, 2012 at 12:03 AM
I'm allergic to penicillin and sulpha meds. :( All that's left is the expensive shit.

Quoting HousewifeNina:

That's how I found out I am allergic to sulfa drugs!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN