Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If you took the amount of money you bring home each month and subtracted 10%, would that 10 percent equal the amount you spend on food per month?

What about if you subtracted 20% of your take home?  Would that be a larger or equal amount?

The average American household spends 10% of their take home income on food (groceries and eating out combined).  The average European household spends 20% of their take home income on food.

For our household, 10% of our take home would be just over $200.  Twenty percent, just over $400.  We generally spend right about $400 a month on pastured meats (lamb and game, poultry, and fish), organic dairy, limited canned goods, and beans/rice/pulses.

Write in Jon Huntsman for President

"People no longer trust that their government is working for them. They see the revolving door between Capitol Hill and K Street, the influence-peddling, the backroom deals, and the crony capitalism. 

http://jon2012.com/issues

by on May. 6, 2012 at 3:49 PM
Replies (51-60):
xo.MommyW.xo
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:45 PM
I spend about 15% on food, no take out
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
myperfect4inok
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:47 PM

Quoting lovinglife0682:

We spend less than 10% of our take home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
CreziaMommyTo2
by on May. 6, 2012 at 8:48 PM
1 mom liked this

we spend about 20% combined (groceries and eatng out)  that is interesting

ambermarie2006
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 8:52 PM
10% or less. If we spent 20% I wouldn't know what to spend that much on. Seems like a lot of food :/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:00 PM

For us, the larger part of our 20% is game meat/lamb, wild/sustainably caught fish, and organic / sometimes raw dairy.  Those items alone take up a god 15% of our total food budget.

Quoting ambermarie2006:

10% or less. If we spent 20% I wouldn't know what to spend that much on. Seems like a lot of food :/

"People no longer trust that their government is working for them. They see the revolving door between Capitol Hill and K Street, the influence-peddling, the backroom deals, and the crony capitalism. 

ambermarie2006
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM

I buy everything from a local farm and still can't fathom spending 20% of our income on food. Though I wish we could find good wild fish in our area, we are surrounded by polluted rivers though so its terrible to eat anything from the waters. 

Quoting eema.gray:

For us, the larger part of our 20% is game meat/lamb, wild/sustainably caught fish, and organic / sometimes raw dairy.  Those items alone take up a god 15% of our total food budget.

Quoting ambermarie2006:

tntmomof2
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:08 PM
We spend about 5% of dhs take home but groceries here (NY) are expensive so if we lived elsewhere I'm sure we'd spend less.

We're a family of 4
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Liyoness
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:10 PM
1 mom liked this
10% sounds right if you don't count our sushi addiction.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM

What's your take home income though?  For us, 20% is just under $450/mo.  Maybe 20% seems high because your take home is higher than it is for other posters?  Or it could be that it's because cost of living in your area is significantly lower than the national average?

Quoting ambermarie2006:

I buy everything from a local farm and still can't fathom spending 20% of our income on food. Though I wish we could find good wild fish in our area, we are surrounded by polluted rivers though so its terrible to eat anything from the waters. 

Quoting eema.gray:

Quoting ambermarie2006:

ambermarie2006
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM

Hmm that may be it. 20% is over 1000, so that is why I have a hard time seeing it. It is lower in our area to buy from local farms as well since we are surrounded by farm land, we only have 1 grocery store within 40 miles lol. I can see spending 20% in Europe though, costs are high in many places. 

Quoting eema.gray:

What's your take home income though?  For us, 20% is just under $450/mo.  Maybe 20% seems high because your take home is higher than it is for other posters?  Or it could be that it's because cost of living in your area is significantly lower than the national average?

Quoting ambermarie2006:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)