Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Family or money?

Posted by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:17 PM
  • 35 Replies

What do kids deserve more?  What would you choose?  How do you make a decision like that?

Would you want your dh (or yourself -whoever works)  to go away (for longer time periods) to make more money or would you prefer to settle with  just making it(check to check type of life)?

by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:17 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kcangel63
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:20 PM
We chose family. We decided to have a big family. We have always had one parent at home, alternating schedules between school & wirk when we had to. Family is always more important than money. We don't make a lot, but we make enough.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Cookie-kisses
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:23 PM

Quoting kcangel63:

We chose family. We decided to have a big family. We have always had one parent at home, alternating schedules between school & wirk when we had to. Family is always more important than money. We don't make a lot, but we make enough.

In my case I have and will continue to sah.  BUt I feel guilty that he has to miss out.  I have never been so lost.  He is thinking of cars and college for our kids and I am thinking t ball and dance recitals.

kcangel63
by Ruby Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:25 PM
LOL! Yep. I stay home and school the kids. I love every moment (even when I'm going crazy). :)

Quoting Cookie-kisses:

Quoting kcangel63:

In my case I have and will continue to sah.  BUt I feel guilty that he has to miss out.  I have never been so lost.  He is thinking of cars and college for our kids and I am thinking t ball and dance recitals.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on May. 6, 2012 at 5:27 PM
Family
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SarahLizyB
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:28 PM
I hope we never have to make that choice. I am all about family, but money helps us have a future. Idk
Jaxsonsmama2009
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:28 PM
We chose both. My husband leaves every other week to work a six figure job. We get to plan for those cars and college but he will also get to see most of the games, plays, recitals, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
prdmomnarmywife
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:30 PM
Family .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ddhb2007
by Gold Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:31 PM
Why does it have to be one or the other? It sounds like you and your husband need to agree on priorities for your family. You could get a part-time or full-time job working the opposite shift from your husband, and then you could both get what you wanted.
spicy_n_sweet
by on May. 6, 2012 at 5:32 PM

Money.  As the parent of an 18 year old I say money. I've been through the school years, now I'm headed into the college years.  If we had lived paycheck to paycheck the majority or all of our son's life, there is so much we would not have been able to do for him. So much he would not have been able to do or experience. And no way in hell we would be able to afford the college education we have saved for, for many years now.  Not to mention the stress and issues that come along with living paycheck to paycheck/barely making it.  That is stress and issues that can rip a family apart, just as easily as a family can be ripped apart by one member working away.

Family is wonderful, a child does not miss out on family because one parent is working away or if both parents are working. Family is what you make of it.  It's just as easy for a family that has both parents working/one working away to be close, connected, involved with one another....as it is for a family that has a SAHP to be disconnected and completely uninvolved with one another.  Family is what you make it.  

jcm28
by Member on May. 6, 2012 at 5:34 PM

I am not money hungery if it comes to barly seeing my dh. If I want more money I will got more hours.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)