Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Poll

Question: If your child had sleeping issues, would you give them melatonin without talking to your doctor first?

Options:

yes

no

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 56

View Results

by on May. 6, 2012 at 9:22 PM
Replies (11-20):
momma2b2008
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 9:43 PM
It would depend on the child's age. Under age 12 I would talk to a doc first. But over 12 I probably wouldnt.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eliptica24
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:03 PM

it is, but any use of adding what is already in your body can set off the bodies natural balance of the chemical and cause some serious issues.

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Both my kids take Melatonin and I never talked to a doc about it.  It's a natural supplement that is in your body. There are no side effects. And it works.

eliptica24
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:04 PM

a lot of similar side affects that go along with any type of sleepign aide but also there has not been a lot of studies to say how harmful it could really be eitehr

Quoting starreyedcutie:

What are some side effects of it? Like i said my inlaws use it and it kinda had me wondering if it had any?

Quoting MamiJaAyla:

melatonin can have a lot of side effects so please research the side effects and make sure of dosage first (been there done that).  I'd seek advice from a homeopathic dr. a trad. western dr. may have little or no knowledge.

I'd also like to let you know that my mom had success with my ds w/ warm milk with vanilla in it .  We also cut out ALL electronics several hrs. b/f sleep.  I noticed that when I had ds do his computer hw last he had a harder time sleeping.

eema.gray
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:05 PM

It can eventually turn off the brain's production of melatonin entirely.  :-(

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Both my kids take Melatonin and I never talked to a doc about it.  It's a natural supplement that is in your body. There are no side effects. And it works.

Write in Jon Huntsman for President

"People no longer trust that their government is working for them. They see the revolving door between Capitol Hill and K Street, the influence-peddling, the backroom deals, and the crony capitalism. 

http://jon2012.com/issues

lilydoyle
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:11 PM

I tried giving my youngest melatonin, and it caused many issues. If you look on the label (which I didn't) it says for adults only. I have been giving my little one warm milk and ovaltine. That helps the most. The milk, when warm, has melatonin, which your body releases naturally, and the ovaltine adds flavor, and also has many vitamins in it. My little one has many sleep issues, and I've found that this solution works for her.

I'm the mom of 4 short people, without a schedule, spanks as a last resort, time-out lover,  positive dicipline user, independant pushing, starts cooking at 4 years, front facing at 1 & 20 lbs, corrects your child if you won't, kid centered, adult scorning kind of mom. I'll parent my children as I see fit, and you better believe wherever I am, mine are better behaved than most.  See something you like or agree with? Hit me up!  I'd love to talk, will help if I can, not afraid to ask for help if I need it,  and I've learned quite a bit over the years. My kids are ages 7 1/2, 6, 4, and 3.  Let's talk!!!

louzannalady
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2012 at 10:17 PM

I would have to do a lot more research before I considered it- even if a doctor recommended. 

singlemom1208
by on May. 6, 2012 at 10:18 PM
I'd talk to the doc first
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by Katie on May. 6, 2012 at 11:34 PM

Before we used Melatonin my son with autism did not sleep. I mean he was seriously up from 6am to 4am every day.  Nothing they gave him worked.  Melatonin helped my son get the sleep he needed.  So I think it's possible my son has never produced it.

Quoting eema.gray:

It can eventually turn off the brain's production of melatonin entirely.  :-(

Quoting kansasmom1978:

Mrs.Bryant1201
by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:36 PM
Would not give ds melatonin, but i take it.

LilySlim Weight loss tickers

Pnukey
by Jennifer on May. 6, 2012 at 11:57 PM

Heck no. I was talking with some mommies in real life (imagine that!) and they were raving about it. My son has a few sleep issues, but we work around them. I would definitely talk to his doctor about it if I wanted to give him any.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)