Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

For those who don't use shampoo, I have a question

Posted by   + Show Post

Maybe it's more of a statement and question. I hate the smell of dirty hair. And by that, I mean after 2 days of not washing it turns my stomach. So, if you just use water or vinegar to wash your hair, exactly what does your hair SMELL like? Don't tell me it smells like "hair" because that just brings to mind patients who have been in the hospital for weeks and are getting nothing but sponge baths. Also, if you worked around very sick and/or contagious people all day long, would just still feel fine with not using shampoo?

Click the picture to join a drama-free group for support and advice on issues such as money saving & budgeting, depression/anxiety, chronic illness, and much more! Fun contests all year!

Come check out our Auction for Amillianna, a brave 17 month old girl who is battling Leukemia. We have some great auction items with low bids, including a Coach purse, Diamond candle, and many hand-crafted goodies! The auction forum is OPEN to everyone!

by on May. 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM
Replies (31-40):
abstractmommy
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 12:12 AM

I am not trying to be rude, but you do realize the stink from body odor is caused by bacteria? Coconut oil has antimicrobal properties but only coconut oil that has gone through a specific fermentation process. Just like fish oil, many coconut oil brands claim to be the same, but the difference is that coconut oil that has gone through the correct processing is INSANELY expensive. Most people who buy it do so for the purpose of ingesting it, not rubbing it on their armpits. If she's buying cheap coconut oil supplements she is most likely not buying the kind that has any benefit as far as being antibacterial, so she very well may stink. But, after a while it's been proven people don't notice their own stink if it's constant. Again, not being rude, just tell her to do her research on the kind she buys. 

Quoting MaNdYbEaR2010:

You're so fucking rude. 

My friend uses no poo and doesn't wear the typical deodorant. She doesn't stink. She "washes" with baking soda/water and "conditions" with vinegar. Her "deodorant" is baking soda and coconut oil. 

Her hair is beautiful. I just can't get over the "transition" period of no poo myself.

Quoting 3brown1blue:

I'd hate to be stuck in a small area while standing next to them...they must smell horrible...what with the smell of body odor and what not. Especially if they live in a household where they use extremely strong  smelling spices, i.e. Indian food, the smells get stuck to your body..and when you  sweat you   reak of B.O AND  spices ... it's  rather nauseating

Quoting abstractmommy:

Some women were saying they just use water, or apple cider vinegar, and they don't use deoderant because they think deoderant is bad.

Quoting sbreece:

Do they use soap there? Or vinegar like in their hair? (Imagine THAT smell) lmao

Quoting 3brown1blue:

ew...why in the hell aren't people washing their hair???  Do they aalso not wash their bodies and private regions too??? throwing up

Apollos82
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:16 AM
12 moms liked this
I love how snobby and presumptuous some of you ladies are being about people who simply groom themselves differently than you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3brown1blue
by on May. 7, 2012 at 12:26 AM

No ... that's rude ...

Quoting MaNdYbEaR2010:

You're so fucking rude. 

My friend uses no poo and doesn't wear the typical deodorant. She doesn't stink. She "washes" with baking soda/water and "conditions" with vinegar. Her "deodorant" is baking soda and coconut oil. 

Her hair is beautiful. I just can't get over the "transition" period of no poo myself.

Quoting 3brown1blue:

I'd hate to be stuck in a small area while standing next to them...they must smell horrible...what with the smell of body odor and what not. Especially if they live in a household where they use extremely strong  smelling spices, i.e. Indian food, the smells get stuck to your body..and when you  sweat you   reak of B.O AND  spices ... it's  rather nauseating

Quoting abstractmommy:

Some women were saying they just use water, or apple cider vinegar, and they don't use deoderant because they think deoderant is bad.

Quoting sbreece:

Do they use soap there? Or vinegar like in their hair? (Imagine THAT smell) lmao

Quoting 3brown1blue:

ew...why in the hell aren't people washing their hair???  Do they aalso not wash their bodies and private regions too??? throwing up

MaNdYbEaR2010
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:02 AM

Not you. The person I quoted. And she buys unrefined. Expensive as hell compared to that wal mart kind i saw. But she eats it, uses it in her hair, in her deo, her baby rash oils and I have no idea what else. She does a lot of research on a lot of things. I'm sure she's done her fair share on what brand of coconut oil she uses.

Quoting abstractmommy:

I am not trying to be rude, but you do realize the stink from body odor is caused by bacteria? Coconut oil has antimicrobal properties but only coconut oil that has gone through a specific fermentation process. Just like fish oil, many coconut oil brands claim to be the same, but the difference is that coconut oil that has gone through the correct processing is INSANELY expensive. Most people who buy it do so for the purpose of ingesting it, not rubbing it on their armpits. If she's buying cheap coconut oil supplements she is most likely not buying the kind that has any benefit as far as being antibacterial, so she very well may stink. But, after a while it's been proven people don't notice their own stink if it's constant. Again, not being rude, just tell her to do her research on the kind she buys. 

Quoting MaNdYbEaR2010:

You're so fucking rude. 

Quoting 3brown1blue:

Quoting abstractmommy:

Quoting sbreece:

Quoting 3brown1blue:

MaNdYbEaR2010
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:04 AM
6 moms liked this

Excuse me, but talking about how bad someone has to stink because they don't cleanse themselves the way YOU grew up doing it is rude as hell. Get your head out of your ass and stop being so judgemental. And you have no idea if you've EVER stood next to someone who's done no poo. They don't stink. Now bad hygiene is one thing, but no poo is completely different. Even if your closed-minded self refuses to see it that way.

Quoting 3brown1blue:

No ... that's rude ...

Quoting MaNdYbEaR2010:

You're so fucking rude. 

Quoting 3brown1blue:

OutlawMUA
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:32 AM
Different friend, but me too! :)

Quoting MaNdYbEaR2010:

You're so fucking rude. 

Quoting 3brown1blue:

Quoting abstractmommy:

Quoting sbreece:

Quoting 3brown1blue:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gemini53176
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:38 AM
I've never even heard of the no poo group ha
gemini53176
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:39 AM
I did buy the shampoo called wen the other day and it made my hair feel so gross and greasy and it looked dirty blah.
abstractmommy
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 1:40 AM

I am not being rude by asking a question(that not one person has even bothered to answer!)

Quoting Apollos82:

I love how snobby and presumptuous some of you ladies are being about people who simply groom themselves differently than you.

Jperry86
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:41 AM
No poo is done by my sister. She uses apple cider vinegar and baking soda. Her hair is soft, shiny, and smells like fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN