Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I need to Move!

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:52 AM
  • 8 Replies
Please someone weigh in on where is a good place to live and work. My dh and I need a change. We have lived in ky our whole lives and over the past 10 yrs things here have continued to go down hill. Jobs are hard to find. We would love to live near a coast somewhere but our main concern is being able to earn a good salary, having a good place to raise our 4 kids, and having things to do (museums, zoo, etc.) would definitely be a plus!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
CreziaMommyTo2
by on May. 7, 2012 at 6:53 AM

what does your DH do for a living?  what kind of degree does he hold.

MisfitInTN
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 6:59 AM
What kind of job is he looking for
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Avajay2
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Quoting CreziaMommyTo2:

what does your DH do for a living?  what kind of degree does he hold.

Sorry I fell asleep lol. My husband is a welder and works in construction. I have an associate degree and have an LPN license.
Avajay2
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:17 AM
Quoting MisfitInTN:

What kind of job is he looking for

He is welder and works in construction.
carolina_gal
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:18 AM

Go to monster.com and look for jobs in his field.

Avajay2
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 10:05 AM
Ok I've done that but I'm interested to know how how things are in other states as far as economically.

Quoting carolina_gal:

Go to monster.com and look for jobs in his field.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
OneAllergicMama
by on May. 7, 2012 at 10:09 AM

I keep looking at St. Louis because of the amazing amount of free things to do with the kids - museums, zoos, parks, etc.  We went for spring break (DH's family is originally from there) and we all touched the tip of the iceberg in regards to the list. 

CreziaMommyTo2
by on May. 7, 2012 at 1:08 PM

it really depends on the need of his job.. i have never met anyone to just get up and go with no job or anything.. usually they choose a location and then interview within the area... 

is he in a union?  if so that would help a LOT, and since you have an LPN so many hospitals at least by me are hiring but you need a BA.  most nurses in this area pay about 30+ an hour to start and that is not OT pay. i am not sure what construction does but the last i heard my friend is in a union (not sure which one) and he was making about $45-$50 an hour, but you need to know someone .  but cost of living here is HIGH.. the avg income for a person to live near me (Long Island) is about $123K a year and that is considered just making it.

ETA: we are about a 40 train ride into NYC

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)