Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

RED WASPS!!!

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM
  • 13 Replies
I was stung by one on Saturday on my knee. I thought I wasnt allergic to them. I think I may have been wrong. My knee is red and itches. You can feel the fever in it when you touch the top of my knee. Its very tender like its bruised without the discoloration from the front of my knee where I was stung going to the back of my knee. Its also swollen. I took Benadryl twice yesterday and it didnt help. Im wondering if maybe its only this bad 2 days later because of walking and bending. Thoughts?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Gchborthwick
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:04 AM

I'd be calling the dr office just to verify if there's not something else you should do?  Good luck!

Mrs.Pedro
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 8:05 AM
Most stings will have that affect... Unless you are swelling up in other parts or have hives I'd venture to say its just a nasty sting. Try calamine lotion or putting cortisone cream on the area.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyFreeRider
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:10 AM
My 2 year old niece got stung also. She was stung first and I got stung trying to get her, my sister, and my 5 year old off the porch that they were at. I talked to my sil yesterday and my niece's sting was pretty much gone. She was stung on her back. The only thing I did differently is that they put chewing tobacco on my nieces sting when it happened. I didnt. Lol. Im hoping its just a nasty sting. Im not allergic to bees or yellow jackets but I've never been stung by a red wasp before.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AHmom103
by Alexis on May. 7, 2012 at 8:12 AM

 It doesn't really sound like an allergic reaction. Is there a stinger or something in it? Sometimes, if a stinger or other object is left in a sting, it will become infected, which would be similar to what you describe. I'm allergic to wasps, and usually, if I get stung, I break out in hives, and my entire limb swells up if I don't take Benadryl quickly enough.

alwayskk
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:16 AM

I'm not sure about red wasps, but I know that for wasp and bee stings in general, you might not react to the first bite. It's the later bites when you find out whether or not you are allergic.

southern.momof2
by Mel on May. 7, 2012 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Those big red wasps are the worse! They hurt forever or well, it seems like they do. I think it's normal but you may want to call your Dr just to be safe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyFreeRider
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:21 AM
I dont think wasps lose their stingers. Bees do and when they do they die. A wasp keeps their stinger and can sting you over and over. Thank god I only got stung once. This sux!

Quoting AHmom103:

 It doesn't really sound like an allergic reaction. Is there a stinger or something in it? Sometimes, if a stinger or other object is left in a sting, it will become infected, which would be similar to what you describe. I'm allergic to wasps, and usually, if I get stung, I break out in hives, and my entire limb swells up if I don't take Benadryl quickly enough.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyFreeRider
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:24 AM
I dont think Im really allergic like break out in hives allergic. The swelling and bruised feeling is what is bothering me because it seems to be getting just a little worse everyday instead of getting better. It wasnt that bad when I first got stung.

Quoting alwayskk:

I'm not sure about red wasps, but I know that for wasp and bee stings in general, you might not react to the first bite. It's the later bites when you find out whether or not you are allergic.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:28 AM

It's probably normal, then. Wasp stings are worse than bee stings. Sometimes, wasps can lose their stingers so make sure there isn't a stinger left in there. Wash it with mild soap and water. Then, make a paste out of baking soda and a tiny but of water, and rub it on the bee sting, leave a thick layer on there. I did this for my son when he was around 7 months old and it stopped his crying almost immediately.

You can also apply cold packs for 10 or so minutes at a time and keep it elevated when you can.

Also, take a benadryll and some pain reliever.

Quoting LadyFreeRider:

I dont think Im really allergic like break out in hives allergic. The swelling and bruised feeling is what is bothering me because it seems to be getting just a little worse everyday instead of getting better. It wasnt that bad when I first got stung.

Quoting alwayskk:

I'm not sure about red wasps, but I know that for wasp and bee stings in general, you might not react to the first bite. It's the later bites when you find out whether or not you are allergic.


Budlady
by on May. 7, 2012 at 8:33 AM
im alergic to all stings i got stung by a red wasp on the back of my neck by a red wasp they are the worse. it was swollen and painful for more then a week all the dr told me was take benedryl and cool compresses
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN