Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

if youre thinking about getting a dog....

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM
  • 18 Replies
2 moms liked this

Think about fostering! There are TOO many dogs going to kill shelters. And yes, because you drop them off at a no kill, does NOT mean they wont be transported somewhere else. Also, "he's such a good dog, someone will adopt him" doesnt mean he will be....

I learned a lot when I decided to foster.

There is a desperate need for fosters.

There are so many dogs pulled from 1 hr till pts time, and more that arent... waiting for even just a temporary home.

They are not 'bad' dogs. Some are trained, some pure breds, puppies, some know shake, lay down, ring the bell to pee.... some look so confused but usually grateful. Those are the worst. Families that have just dropped an older dog off because of an inconvience of some sort.

Foster.

It will save a few dogs. It will see how truly ready you, your home, your children and your spouse are for the responsibility of a dog.  You will be able to see how well THAT particular dog fits into your home.  Lets face it, you can pay all you want and get it wherever you want and you still wont know its personality or how well a dog fits in until you spend at least a few weeks with it in your home on a day to day basis.

A dog WILL come along that 'fits' in your family. That you fall in love with. If he/she doesnt... then you saved them till they find their forever home (usually takes a month or so) and everyone is better off.

by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:14 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
grey7399
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:15 AM

BUMP!

the.real.me
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM
Oh and expenses are paid for, they have to be updated on all shots, spayed/neutered, most of the time microchipped. Most times if the foster adopts, the adoption fee is waived or reduced.
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:20 AM

We are currently looking to add to our family. I am looking into fostering for the time being. I wish rescue groups didnt charge so much. We were looking into a pug rescue and they wanted $1200 for a 3 year old pug... I can buy a papered pug puppy for less than that!

kennethsmom910
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:21 AM
I have fostered before. I might even do it in the future. It is very fulfilling but it is not fir everyone. The last fosters we had was really hard on my son when they went to their new home. They were brother and sister and eventually went to the same wonderful woman in Maine. I probably will work with her again in the future. Save a lab rescue is looking for fosters right now along the east coast. (They will pay vet costs and find them their homes!) Some rescues need transport help too.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
the.real.me
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM
There are also breed specific rescues if youre looking for a specific breed
sassyscorpio85
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:23 AM
1 mom liked this
Also get your pet fixed.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
eema.gray
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:26 AM

The groups here charge adoptions fees based on the desirability of the dog.  Young dogs are VERY expensive, dogs with distinctive breed features are almost as expensive.  Older dogs (over 5 years) quite a bit less, as are dogs who are just . .  . mutts.  :-)

Quoting SuperPickle:

We are currently looking to add to our family. I am looking into fostering for the time being. I wish rescue groups didnt charge so much. We were looking into a pug rescue and they wanted $1200 for a 3 year old pug... I can buy a papered pug puppy for less than that!

Write in Jon Huntsman for President

"People no longer trust that their government is working for them. They see the revolving door between Capitol Hill and K Street, the influence-peddling, the backroom deals, and the crony capitalism. 

http://jon2012.com/issues

the.real.me
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:27 AM
Quoting SuperPickle:

That does seem excessive. Look into pug rescue groups. Theyre out there. Usually rescues are a few hundred for puppies and less the older a dog is. Most are non profit. They charge that to cover the sometimes HUGE vet bills that come with some...
Katenemsmom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM
I have a house full of kids. I won't risk it. Some are great some aren't.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
SuperPickle
by Ruby Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:29 AM

That was a pug rescue, this particular one was deemed a "savior" dog. Since she was a healthy young dog they wanted more money to cover costs of other pugs in the rescue. i totally understand the concept But being that excessive they are severely limiting her chances IMO.

Quoting the.real.me:

Quoting SuperPickle:

That does seem excessive. Look into pug rescue groups. Theyre out there. Usually rescues are a few hundred for puppies and less the older a dog is. Most are non profit. They charge that to cover the sometimes HUGE vet bills that come with some...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)