Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Where the hell do these gnats come from and HOW do you get RID of them?!

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:54 PM
  • 18 Replies

It's that time of year again and I can't have fresh produce on my counters without having these tiny little fucking gnats flying around everywhere! It's so  annoying! I don't even know where they came from! It's like one day everything was fine and the next day there are all these stupid gnats in my kitchen! This happens every summer. And it's getting old. I have a cantaloupe, 2 tomatoes, a bag of apples, a bag of pears, onions and a bunch of bananas on my counter and they are apparently attracting these gnats. There are certain things you just can't put in the refrigerator... so what am I supposed to do with this stuff? I want these gnats OUT of my kitchen! But as long as I have this stuff sitting out, they're not gonna go away.

Anyone else had this problem?!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Weight Loss Tools

by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
pinkanfgrl
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
I_love_doritos
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:55 PM
I do. I need to set out a bowl of vingar. That will get them
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ramonafrog
by on May. 7, 2012 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Yep. Put a bowl of vinegar water on the counter (overnight), cover it in plastic wrap, and poke some holes in it. They will get trapped in the bowl.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenMarie87
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:00 PM

Really? That just sounds too easy. lol. Last summer I read something on Google that said the same thing but it was syrup instead of vinegar and it didn't work = /

Quoting ramonafrog:

Yep. Put a bowl of vinegar water on the counter (overnight), cover it in plastic wrap, and poke some holes in it. They will get trapped in the bowl.

agrisham13mom
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:29 PM
Everything except the onions and bananas can go in the fridge (Although some people do store those in the fridge tge peel of the banana will turn black and your fridge will reek of onion though your choice) I place my onions in a bag in our pantry. I put the bananas on a banana hook in the counter. Then to get rid of the nasty creatures put out bait either vinegar, red wine, fruit, sugar water, water with dish soap just to name a few. Place one of those in a bowl covered with plastic wrap poked with tiny holes leave on counter overnight :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
night.magic
by Chicken Nugget on May. 7, 2012 at 5:31 PM

I have this issue as well. I'm beginning to think they come out of the drains in each of my sinks. I flush them all with a mixture of baking soda, cool water and white vinegar. It helps to a degree. And the flies are horrible down here in my area as well. Sick of all these dang bugs.

wodntulk2kno1
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:34 PM
1 mom liked this
Get a bottle put vinegar and a small amount if dawn dish soap, cover with aluminum foil and poke holes in the foil. The next day they should be gone.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovebugs0710
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:35 PM
You don't keep any of that in your fridge?? Everything except bananas go in our fridge. I can't eat warm fruit, it's disgusting. And it rots a lot faster sitting out on the counter. That's where the gnats come in. Keep your produce in the fridge and the gnat population with decrease significantly. We only have a bad gnat problems when we have bananas in the house.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JenMarie87
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:38 PM

No. I never have. If I buy it refrigerated, I put it in the fridge. Otherwise, no... I don't. lol.

Quoting lovebugs0710:

You don't keep any of that in your fridge?? Everything except bananas go in our fridge. I can't eat warm fruit, it's disgusting. And it rots a lot faster sitting out on the counter. That's where the gnats come in. Keep your produce in the fridge and the gnat population with decrease significantly. We only have a bad gnat problems when we have bananas in the house.

JenMarie87
by on May. 7, 2012 at 5:39 PM

Do you put tomatoes in the fridge too? Someone told me it would ruin tomatoes if you put them in the fridge.

Quoting lovebugs0710:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)