Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

My dog is going to die :(

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:16 PM
  • 70 Replies

He has Pug Dog Encephalitis and only has a few days to six months left to live.

What am I going to tell my kids? Do I get another dog?

We have another dog that is best friends with the pug, does she need another dog? 

And the kids are days away from being 4 years old, Do I tell them before, or let them handle it after?

by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Bird16_J
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:33 PM

I'm sorry momma that's a tough one. I honestly don't know what I would tell them. It was hard enough for me to lose my dog at 16 that we had for 14 years. Good luck I wish I knew what to say besides I'm very sorry :(

LectioDivina
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 7:35 PM

Thank you :( I just have no Idea how I'm supposed to handle this...

Quoting Bird16_J:

I'm sorry momma that's a tough one. I honestly don't know what I would tell them. It was hard enough for me to lose my dog at 16 that we had for 14 years. Good luck I wish I knew what to say besides I'm very sorry :(

randomosityblog
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:36 PM

I think I'd get another one after this one passes. :(

lavybunch
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM
2 moms liked this

When our lab got sick I didn't know what to say to the kids. I just told them the truth, she was sick and that there was no medicine to help her, that she was not going to get better and she was dieing. The older ones understood, my 6 year old didn't fully get it and my 3 and 1.5 yo didn't have a clue.  After she was gone the 3 yo kept asking for her, I had to tell her she was not coming back. It was hard and it took her a bit to understand. Good luck to you.

Bird16_J
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM

You're welcome momma. And I just had a thought. Find the Rainbow bridge poem it's about where the animals go when they pass away. Maybe read that to them and explain it to them the best you can? And tell them that you love him very much but he's going to a better place where he won't be sick and won't hurt anymore. Other than that I'm outta ideas. Again I'm really sorry that you have to tell that to them :( I can't imagine having to tell little ones about their beloved pet.

Quoting LectioDivina:

Thank you :( I just have no Idea how I'm supposed to handle this...

Quoting Bird16_J:

workoutmom2b1g
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM

So sorry! I have never had to deal with this yet! Good luck! 

im sorry

LectioDivina
by Gold Member on May. 7, 2012 at 7:38 PM

Quoting randomosityblog:

I think I'd get another one after this one passes. :(

Would you tell your kids and let them say goodbye, but knowing it might be another 3 months (or tomorrow) Or would you let them deal with the grief afterwords and not have them worry until then?

Ireallydontcare
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM
2 moms liked this

Decide on this as a family. Let your children in on it when you feel it is appropriate, but allow them in the conversation on whether or not to get another one and when. This helps them feel important and a part of the process.

Adamsmommy602
by on May. 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM
I have a pug ;/
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
RoseWall
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 7:39 PM

hugs

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)