Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

"Modern Obstetrics" aren't modern.

Posted by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:33 PM
  • 67 Replies

Thoughts? Were you allowed food and drink during labor?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Pnukey
by Jennifer on May. 7, 2012 at 9:35 PM

I was not allowed to eat or drink during labor, but my dentist made me fast before oral surgery for the same reasons. I thought it was a surgical limitation, not a birthing limitation.  OH, you know, I did eat in early labor when I didn't realize it really was labor and later puked it all up.

atyou
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:35 PM
I did not labor. =(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:38 PM
They don't permitt food 'just in case' you need a c section under general. I was allowed clear fluids, water, juice, tea, etc but no food.

Quoting Pnukey:

I was not allowed to eat or drink during labor, but my dentist made me fast before oral surgery for the same reasons. I thought it was a surgical limitation, not a birthing limitation.  OH, you know, I did eat in early labor when I didn't realize it really was labor and later puked it all up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lovingwifey
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:39 PM

I did with my first.  My Mama snuck me a CHicken quesidllia from Taco bell.  haha.  I had no issues.  

scperdomo
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:40 PM
Only ice chips.... I was so hungry I scarfed down those stupid little graham crackers like nothing! LoL
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:41 PM
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Emerald Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:42 PM
I've woken up in labor with all three pregnancies and the only thing I felt okay with having was water. There's no way I could eat while in labor. I don't desire food.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM

I was not allowed food and drink during my hospital birth. Of course, my midwife allowed and encouraged it. She and the birthing assistant also had a meal with us following the birth! :)

myperfect4inok
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:43 PM
With my first the last time I ate was 11pm. She was born via emergency c-section at 6:19am.
With my second I went in at 5 am and I knew what anesthesia did to me so I avoided food.
With the twins I ate at 7 am and they were born at 9:29 and9:30 via c-section.
I.had no problems and actually it was the only time I didn't throw up for hours after the c-section.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Donna.June
by Silver Member on May. 7, 2012 at 9:45 PM
After my first, I always ate before heading to the hospital. With dd2 and dd4, I ate on the way to the hospital.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)