Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

"Modern Obstetrics" aren't modern.

Posted by   + Show Post

Thoughts? Were you allowed food and drink during labor?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 7, 2012 at 9:33 PM
Replies (41-50):
MisfitInTN
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:06 PM
I was not allowed food during labor but I dont want any either
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
momoftatertots
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes my 2nd VBAC, I am a member of ICAN of Anchorage.

Quoting epoh:

You're having a VBAC? Check out Ican.org (international cesarean awareness network). They'll have some information and resources for you. :)

Quoting momoftatertots:

I am 33 weeks now and have talked to the dr's enough to find out I will have a fight on my hands to have the birth I want but in AK if your a VBAC you have to either have a unassisted homebirth or a hospital birth.

Quoting epoh:

Best of luck, mama. :) how far along are you?

Quoting momoftatertots:

I was not allowed with my 2 prior but I dont give 2 cents as to what the dr's want this time and I will eat if I want.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:51 PM

I had my children from the late eighties until 1992. No food for me. Ice chips aplenty, though. I remember stuffing myself before going in to give birth, because I knew they'd starve my ass when I went in.

Regina_Falange
by AKA Phoebe Buffay on May. 7, 2012 at 11:53 PM
First yes. They would bring me anything I wanted. Big sandwiches. Eggs. Cheesecake anything. My second I ate nothing. Chugged water right after and the promptly puked for an hr.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
HarschMama
by on May. 7, 2012 at 11:54 PM
My hospital allowed any food or water you wanted, but I didn't feel like eating...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
squeekers
by Bronze Member on May. 7, 2012 at 11:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I stopped at a Denny's 2 hours before I was induced and ate a full breakfast. I was NOT going to do labor on an empty stomach

Megankae
by on May. 8, 2012 at 7:45 AM
I was allowed the same.

Quoting norahsmommy:

They don't permitt food 'just in case' you need a c section under general. I was allowed clear fluids, water, juice, tea, etc but no food.

Quoting Pnukey:

I was not allowed to eat or drink during labor, but my dentist made me fast before oral surgery for the same reasons. I thought it was a surgical limitation, not a birthing limitation.  OH, you know, I did eat in early labor when I didn't realize it really was labor and later puked it all up.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
emmy526
by Emmy on May. 8, 2012 at 7:47 AM

i stayed home eating and drinking til i HAD to go to the hospital...i knew they wouldn't let me, and  i sure wasn't gonna starve there all day, when i could be home in comfort. 

MIA0223
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 7:52 AM
2 moms liked this
They said no, doesn't mean I listened though, lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stephy_85
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 8:17 AM
I think this info is super outdated. I want to say they talk about this in The Business of Being Born and apparently a study was done and it has no effect on aspiration at all, and the main thing that makes people aspirate is the tube they stick down your throat. I've never understood having to starve myself when I am doing something that requires tons of calories to be burned, when theu aren't replaced you get exhausted and then require interventions. .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)