Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Public Assistance Realated... *Update....

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:05 AM
  • 11 Replies

I went to the work force thing today and talked to the lady, explained my situation and she told me to go next door and talk to one of the workers for food stamps/ medicaid so I went over there and signed in and sat there for 1/2 hour and talked to the lady there and she told me to be exempt I have to have a job with 30 hrs or more. If I don't participate then I would lose foodstamps for my entire family. I told her the lady I work for told me she could give me 20 hrs and she said thats not 30 hrs though. She said you will have to quit that job so you can attend workforce if she can't give you hours that don't interfere with workforce.  She told me to go back next door to the work force class. So I went back to the workforce class and the lady in charge of the work force class says.... once you leave the classroom you are not allowed back in. She told me to go back next door and tell them I can't attend the class.

So I went back over there and the woman says well then you abandoned the class and starting next month you won't be able to get food stamps for 6 months. I talked to her supervisor and she said their rules are really strict now, they are trying to get as many people off food stamps as possible because of budget cuts. She said they don't reschedule work force you get one chance and then you have to wait 6 months if you don't take that chance. So according to her I will still get this months food stamps but no more after that for 6 months and then I will get a letter telling me to attend work force and I can get food stamps again after they get confirmation that I am attending.

I went to my boss (she is a friend) and told her what happened and that yes I do want the 20 hrs per week because now I will really need it.

This really sucks... right before summer when all the kids are going to be home for summer is when I lose my foodstamps  GRRRRR!!!!!!! there isn't free breakfast and lunch during the summer because they aren't in school.

Oh and I live in East Texas

I am a single mom, been divorced for almost 3 years. I have 3 kids still left at home, my oldest has already moved out and started her own family. I get foodstamps for me and the kids and the kids get medicaid. I get SSI for 1 ds and until recently I was getting child support for my other ds.

Heres the thing... they have a program thats supposed to help people get a job. They send you a notice saying you have to participate or they will stop giving you food stamps. I have no problem with having them point me in the right direction when looking for work. The work force place, basicaly like a job agency is also to the public. They have some job listings that anyone can apply for, then they have jobs that only veterans can apply for but the majority of their job referrals are only for people on public assistance.

So for over 1 1/2 years I went down there once every couple of months asking if I could please volunteer for the work force program. I had not gotten a letter saying I had to go but I had been looking for a job and was not having any luck. I told them I want to be in your job search program. They kept telling me it doesn't work that way. You will get your letter soon just like everyone else.

So now its been almost 3 years since I first got on foodstamps and got the kids on medicaid. They finally send me a letter. I work part time, I have a job where I can take my dd with me. She is almost 17 but she is special needs. I can't leave her home by herself and I homeschool her now because high school was too stressful for her. She has sensory issues and got to the point of having seizures several times a day at school. Since I've been home schooling her she only has seizures a few times a month, some times even less than that.

Now they send me the letter saying I have to participate in Work Force. I told them I have a part time job. They said you have to work at least 30 hours per week to be exempt. So I had to go down and talk to them. I told them my situation. They said that they recomend I quit my part time job and put dd back in public school so I can participate in work force so I don't lose my foodstamps.

First problem is if I put her back in school she will most likely start having seizures again. Second problem is that I have been homeschooling her using my own curriculum. Basically teaching her all the basic stuff she needs to know so she can hopefully pass the GED test when she turns 18. I talked to the school. Since I haven't been using an accredited home school and I have been using my own curriculum DD does not have high school credits. So I would be putting a 17 year old into 9th grade. I don't want to do that to her. Part of the reason she had so much stress at school was because the kids tease her and bully her so much because she is different. I can't imagine how they would treat a 17 yr old with special needs in main stream classes. The thought horrifies me. And what do we do once she starts having seizures from the stress again?

I have to go to work force  for my first day today. I will be there all day until 4:30. I am leaving DD home today because the school says because there is only 2 1/2 weeks of school left they won't even enroll her until the beginning of next school year. Work force says that during the summer they will pay day care for my youngest child but not for the other 2 because they are almost 17 and almost 14. These are kids that I am not comfortable leaving home alone all day monday thru thursday. They both have aspergers and act like they are much younger than they are. My DD has started a fire in the kitchen trying to cook herself something to eat before.

I am basically looking at... I don't want to leave these kids home alone all day during the summer and DD would be home alone all day now because she is homeschooled. I have to leave her here by herself today because I can't take her with me. I am leaving her a list of the school work she needs to do and a few chores so I can see how she does today.

I can't afford to just not go and have my foodstamps stop. I'm not sure how this is going to turn out.

I will check back on this post when I get home this evening.

has anyone been in this situation?

any suggestions?

Also there are no relatives that can take care of them during the day. I do have a friend who is a stay at home mom but I don't want to ask her to watch them for me because she has 3 special needs kids and 2 are in wheel chairs. She already has her hands full with them. Everyone else I know works.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:05 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
HIJKLM
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 9:15 AM
Wow. What state are you in?
I'd ask for a supervisor and explain your kids have special needs and need care. Is the father around? Can he help in any way? Have you looked into independent studdies for your DD? I don't know much about how the system works but it sounds like there should be more options for you. I don't see how quitting your job will help you get a job. That seems stupid
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tisha1115
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:39 PM

Check and see if your special needs dd's doctor would be willing to write something official about themnot being left alone and needing a day care look after them when  you are at work. Make sure they see that you are not trying to take adantage of the system and are only concerned about the safety of your kids. Is there any way you could work the 30 hours and ask your oldest dd to watch them? She could still study and keep an eye on her own kids while being paid by the county to keep an eye on her younger sisters. I have no idea if that would work or not but it's worth a try!

Another idea is to contact your local board of MRDD (or DD, which ever they use in your state) and see if there is anything they can do to help out. I work at a facility for special needs people and they have TONS of programs out there for the adults so I would hope there would be something for the kids as well.

Tisha1115
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:40 PM

just saw all the stupid typos I made...sorry!

donnadea
by on May. 8, 2012 at 8:30 PM

what is MRDD or DD?

Quoting Tisha1115:

Check and see if your special needs dd's doctor would be willing to write something official about themnot being left alone and needing a day care look after them when  you are at work. Make sure they see that you are not trying to take adantage of the system and are only concerned about the safety of your kids. Is there any way you could work the 30 hours and ask your oldest dd to watch them? She could still study and keep an eye on her own kids while being paid by the county to keep an eye on her younger sisters. I have no idea if that would work or not but it's worth a try!

Another idea is to contact your local board of MRDD (or DD, which ever they use in your state) and see if there is anything they can do to help out. I work at a facility for special needs people and they have TONS of programs out there for the adults so I would hope there would be something for the kids as well.

Tisha1115
by on May. 9, 2012 at 10:07 AM

MRDD is an old term so please scuse the language. It stands for Mentally Retarded-Developmentally disabled. DD is just the latter part of the previously used term and is the "new" description they use for the "special" population.

Quoting donnadea:

what is MRDD or DD?

Quoting Tisha1115:

lifeisajoy
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 10:15 AM

Have you contacted your local mental health program or even local health care agencies (your daughter has seizures and you are told you have to work)--You may be able to get a health care aide or a respite provider--paid by Medical Assistance or by a County Program--

Talk to your Local County Human Services (Mental Health dept) trying to get a respite provider and also talk to Public Assistance re: trying to get a health care aide or just call a local home health care agency and they can help you with the contacts--

I know I have been through this (not the Workforce Program) but trying to get a Care Provider for my 19 year old son with special needs--

donnadea
by on May. 9, 2012 at 6:39 PM

thank you. I don't know all the proper terms.

For now I am taking the job for 20 hrs per week. My boss is a friend and she has disabled children so thats what I do, I help her with the kids and around the house, go to dr apts with her to help with her sons wheel chair etc. She allows me to bring the kids with me if I need to.

I sat down and figured it all out and I'm thinking maybe this is for the best. I will be making around $580 per month more and my food stamps were only a little over $300. I live in income based housing, they will raise my rent a bit but they take food stamps into account as part of your income so really I guess it will all pretty much even out in the end and my income will be about the same. I will just be working for it instead of getting money for doing nothing and I won't have to follow the foodstamp rules any more. I only have to worry about medicaid for the kids now and the worker said my kids medicaid won't be affected because I will still be under the limit.

So really I'm thinking maybe it will be better this way and we will get to spend more time with our friends too lol

getoesuepastah
by on May. 9, 2012 at 6:51 PM

i know that the welfare dept m ust grant an exemption(m eaning u dont have to participate in work requirem ents) if either A.  you are disabled  or B. you take care of a disabled person or child in ur fam ily

u clearly qualify under exem ption B they dont advertise this fact but its true, if they refuse to allow the exem ptionm id get a lawyer or m ake them  pay for care for ur dd

donnadea
by on May. 9, 2012 at 7:05 PM

I asked about the caretaker exemption and they said that it wouldn't apply to me because there is public school services available and I'm not utilizing them.

Quoting getoesuepastah:

i know that the welfare dept m ust grant an exemption(m eaning u dont have to participate in work requirem ents) if either A.  you are disabled  or B. you take care of a disabled person or child in ur fam ily

u clearly qualify under exem ption B they dont advertise this fact but its true, if they refuse to allow the exem ptionm id get a lawyer or m ake them  pay for care for ur dd

sheramom4
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 7:11 PM

I would ask for a supervisor if you haven't already. The exemption should have nothing to do with public school availability. I agree to have a doctor write up a report on what public schooling does to your daughter and that you are doing what is best for her.....social services can be such a pain and a lot of times the workers are not even listening to what you say. I am still dealing with trying to get state insurance for my daughter with a vision issue. We haven't been on food stamps for a few years, but even then they gave me a hard time for being my husband's caregiver )he is disabled) rather than working. It is not like I had a choice, he has to have someone home with him and we only get 30 days respite per year through the VA

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)