Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

so..this is a town full of free range children or what?!

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM
  • 141 Replies
1 mom liked this

i have noticed somthing verrry disturbing here...children playing with no adult in sight....riding their bikes around with out parents.....playing at the park without adult supervision! OMG!!!

a few of the moms around here have told me, "yeah, we let the kids run wild out here, just like we did when WE were kids"

so basicly, as long as your kid can find his way home on his own, it's all good! let them run and play and be kids!

this is a small town of only a few hundred, and everyone knows everyone and knows where random kids belong, the children all seem to play together, and will go house to house collecting kids and all go to the park together!

ds 6 is embracing this lifestyle to the max! it is only 8:30am ( no kinder today) and he is begging to be let out! o.0 i'm like "NO! it's not even 9am yet! are you crazy?!"

have you ever lived in a town with free range children?

by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
bmw29
by Buttcrackncornchips on May. 8, 2012 at 10:31 AM
5 moms liked this
I grew up in a town like that and wish it was that way now. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AFWifeNMom
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:31 AM
1 mom liked this
I would LOVE to live in a town like that!!!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
jillbailey26
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:32 AM

My boys (9 & almost 8) play outside by themselves.  They know their boundaries and abide by them.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

calcalmommy
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:33 AM
I wish we did! :(
tyrelsmom
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM
That's what it was like when we were kids. Everyone looked out for each other. And when I was one of the older kids, I looked out for the younger ones, too.
We're too far out in the country. But my 4 and 2 year olds are playing outside in our yard right now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LectioDivina
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Not until they can fight...

I know that sounds horrible, but I just don't want them out alone until they have some natural defenses

coolmommy2x
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM
Our development is pretty much like that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MicheleJM
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Works for me. Tho I would probably give my son a prepaid cell phone and some instructions on how far he can go, etc.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
DallasCowboys81
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM

Yep I have and my kids lived it and boy do they miss it now. We had moved to a new state new neighborhood don't know it very well yet. Well we know the surrounding area just not all the people, so now my kids go gather all their friends up and usually play in our yard. ( Which I'm fine with ) I miss the days that I was able to run free like that n not worry.

Mrs.VanDeKamp
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:34 AM
1 mom liked this

at first it kinda freaked me out, but.....it's really cool! ds is only 6! but the kids stop and pick him up on their way to the park, or to go bike riding. nothing like this ever happened in bethune!

Quoting bmw29:

I grew up in a town like that and wish it was that way now. :(

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)