Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

so..this is a town full of free range children or what?!

Posted by   + Show Post

i have noticed somthing verrry disturbing here...children playing with no adult in sight....riding their bikes around with out parents.....playing at the park without adult supervision! OMG!!!

a few of the moms around here have told me, "yeah, we let the kids run wild out here, just like we did when WE were kids"

so basicly, as long as your kid can find his way home on his own, it's all good! let them run and play and be kids!

this is a small town of only a few hundred, and everyone knows everyone and knows where random kids belong, the children all seem to play together, and will go house to house collecting kids and all go to the park together!

ds 6 is embracing this lifestyle to the max! it is only 8:30am ( no kinder today) and he is begging to be let out! o.0 i'm like "NO! it's not even 9am yet! are you crazy?!"

have you ever lived in a town with free range children?

by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Replies (21-30):
Mrs.VanDeKamp
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:38 AM

oh nothing! it feels like the 80's here though! lol its been a long time since i have seen kids safely have so much freedom

Quoting notjstasocermom:

not sure what is really wrong with that.

Fairegirl33
by Melissa on May. 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM

I would not let the 6 yo run "wild" but older yes I would let them ride their bike within a certain distance from the house....

I didn't realize towns that had only a few hundred people even had internet !  LOLOL

HIJKLM
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM
This. Unfortunately times have changed. Don't think I'd let a 6yo go but 9 or 10, in a town like yours I would.

Quoting bmw29:

I grew up in a town like that and wish it was that way now. :(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.VanDeKamp
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM

my youngest wants to be a free range child too, he thinks he is big enough to go with the older kids, lol, sorry buster! you're too short! he is only 18 mo and he seriously wants in on the action! silly goose!

Quoting HouseMa:

I read 'free range chickens'. 

I spent all of my weekends and summer months in a free range town.  I hated when summer was over and I had to go back to playing in the fenced in backyard.

Aamy
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM
Your kid can't go out to play before 9 am??? Really? And yes in some places kids are allowed to play with out a parent attached to their hip....
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
cherrywaves21
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:40 AM
This.

Quoting LectioDivina:

Not until they can fight...

I know that sounds horrible, but I just don't want them out alone until they have some natural defenses

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
shy1996
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:41 AM

what town is it? Smyrna Delaware was like that

ButterflyGenie
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:41 AM
When we moved to our neighborhood it's like that. But my son had to wait till he had no training wheels. He's 12 now. My 5&6 year olds still have training wheels. We'll see when they finally get it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
norahsmommy
by Platinum Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:42 AM
I went to a kids birthday party in a town like that. There was a pile of bikes and skates in front of the birthday girls house and all the kids were running back and forth from house to house all over the neighborhood. It was pretty cool. I felt like I had stepped back in time! The speed limit for the 'busy' streets in this town is 20 miles an hour :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.VanDeKamp
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:42 AM

lol yes we do. and an RCMP station right at the entrance to town. i freakin LOVE this place! did i tell ya'll that a few locals kidnapped me last weekend? took me to a garage party where they were playing banjo and guitar, and dancing and haveing a good ol time!

Quoting Fairegirl33:

I would not let the 6 yo run "wild" but older yes I would let them ride their bike within a certain distance from the house....

I didn't realize towns that had only a few hundred people even had internet !  LOLOL

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)