Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

so..this is a town full of free range children or what?!

Posted by   + Show Post

i have noticed somthing verrry disturbing here...children playing with no adult in sight....riding their bikes around with out parents.....playing at the park without adult supervision! OMG!!!

a few of the moms around here have told me, "yeah, we let the kids run wild out here, just like we did when WE were kids"

so basicly, as long as your kid can find his way home on his own, it's all good! let them run and play and be kids!

this is a small town of only a few hundred, and everyone knows everyone and knows where random kids belong, the children all seem to play together, and will go house to house collecting kids and all go to the park together!

ds 6 is embracing this lifestyle to the max! it is only 8:30am ( no kinder today) and he is begging to be let out! o.0 i'm like "NO! it's not even 9am yet! are you crazy?!"

have you ever lived in a town with free range children?

by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:30 AM
Replies (31-40):
CDMelty
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:42 AM
1 mom liked this

I do live in a town with free range kids and it's great! SOme parents freak out (the police had to go find a 15yo kid who tried to walk to school but had never been allowed to just go for a walk before and got lost. It was a 6 block walk with one turn and he missed the turn and kept walking a straight line until he hit cornfields.)  My kids are and will be free-range. Childhood, imo, is about bike rides and freedom, not TV and video games.

lovin_life85
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:43 AM

That's funny, my DD almost two wants to tag along w/ her older sister almost 6 everywhere! She doesn't understand she can't do everything Sissy can and she gets so upset lol

Quoting Mrs.VanDeKamp:

my youngest wants to be a free range child too, he thinks he is big enough to go with the older kids, lol, sorry buster! you're too short! he is only 18 mo and he seriously wants in on the action! silly goose!

Quoting HouseMa:

I read 'free range chickens'. 

I spent all of my weekends and summer months in a free range town.  I hated when summer was over and I had to go back to playing in the fenced in backyard.

Kool_Aide
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:43 AM
Wait wait wait, you mean kids are acting like kids the way most kids use to play when we were young. Wow!!!, that's dreadful.... O_o
ermka
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM
My neighborhood's pretty much like that... I've noticed all the kids before.. but this is the first spring/summer I've been comfortable letting mine out to play alone (they're almost 6 & 8) so I'm still getting used to it. They love it though.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM

My camera is zoomed but my son is about an acre away from me. He's not fully unsupservised yet, as he's a risk to himself, but he will be soon enough.

Fairegirl33
by Melissa on May. 8, 2012 at 10:44 AM

LOL sounds like a fun place to live for you and your children.  

Sometimes it is very nice to live in a small town but I always hated everyone knowing my business LOL

Did you move BACK TO this town or is this NEW for you all ?

Quoting Mrs.VanDeKamp:

lol yes we do. and an RCMP station right at the entrance to town. i freakin LOVE this place! did i tell ya'll that a few locals kidnapped me last weekend? took me to a garage party where they were playing banjo and guitar, and dancing and haveing a good ol time!

Quoting Fairegirl33:

I would not let the 6 yo run "wild" but older yes I would let them ride their bike within a certain distance from the house....

I didn't realize towns that had only a few hundred people even had internet !  LOLOL

melissa916
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:45 AM
It's kinda like that here.
I live in a very small town in northern California, and I live in a court, we all let our kids play outside as long as there is more than just them alone. My oldest is 13 and the neighbors allow the kids to go to the park with him, which is just around the corner. The neighborhood kids range from 5 to 9. I do check on them often when their out there though. I don't completely let my guard down.
Alison_C
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Wow, I wish I lived in a town like that
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TheMommaJessie
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:45 AM

Where I live now is  like that in a way and I honestly think that they are not completely free range the town is looking out for them with out looking like they are. The kids are learning how to navigate the town, learning responsability about getting to and from places and making sure they get home on time. And if a child is not where she or he needs to be do the adults in the town take the kid home? Probably do if your town is like mine. Though children under a certian age should be supervised by an adult but I see kids running around my town a lot when the weather is warm enough. I watch them when they walk by my house to make sure they are not pushing each other around or causing trouble and the kids here seem to be very well behaved.

mamaslilpunkin
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:46 AM

Nope,but I sure wish I did.I would love to send dd out to play like that,just like when I was a kid.I live on the quieter side of a medium-large size city and I could never do that here.

in love                           blowing bubbles               puppy

Nathan & Tracey 06.12.99             Grace 10.10.03            Jonas 08.28.10

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)