Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Should HIV-positive people be allowed to work with food?

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM
  • 83 Replies

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/07/burger-king-manager-fired-hiv_n_1497718.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cmain5%7Cdl1%7Csec3_lnk2%26pLid%3D158696

I know the virus can only be passed through bodily fluids, but having worked in a restaurant, I know that optimal safety measures are not always followed. What if someone had a small cut on their finger that they didn't even realize and the blood somehow good into the food without anyone (either employee or patron) noticing?

This is a tough one - I have to admit the thought of someone with HIV working with my food, or in healthcare situations creeps me out.

What do you think?

by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
P.V.Hawkwind
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:35 AM
Sure they can
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
alwayskk
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM

Yes, of course they can.

LectioDivina
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:36 AM
4 moms liked this

Has anyone ever gotten HIV because someone bled in their taco?

fallenangel_353
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:37 AM

Quoting LectioDivina:

Has anyone ever gotten HIV because someone bleed in their taco?

LOL

Anonym07
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:38 AM

yes and im sure someone with HIV has handled your fast food before

brightonsmom12
1 mom liked this
Nope not at all because I've also worked in places where they didn't follow all safety protocol either. It scares me, I also think places should use paper cups or something.
kagegirl
11 moms liked this

IF you know it can only be passed through bodily fluids, you must also know that the virus dies once it hits the air. Also, it would take a LOT of blood or saliva to actually transmit the virus. I know because my uncle has lived with it for 30 years, and he does talks and lectures. Yes, they can and should be allowed to work with food. Discrimination is discrimination, no matter how you slice it.

MommaBear1990

they sure can, when you work with food you wear gloves any way

fallenangel_353
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:39 AM

I dont want to answer this one. It makes me feel hypocritical. I'm not one to discriminate on anyone, but then there are times I question myself and it makes me feel bad. So i just choose to not aknowledge that part of my brain, and ignore it lol. So... *pass*

PeachySweet2007
by Member on May. 8, 2012 at 11:41 AM

I'd say yes, they should be able to.  And probably already do.  I'd be more concerned about someone with the flu coughing all over my sandwich than that. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)