Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Why do parents force their kids to play sports?

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:45 AM
  • 142 Replies

Do they even stop to think about the other kids on the team? The kids who want to be there and try really hard. The kids that practice and put their all into the sport, just to loose because your kid doesn't care and doesn't want to be there?

Why not find something your child actually wants to do...not something you wish you could do?

Make someone happy today, mind your own business.

by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SarahLizyB
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 11:46 AM
1 mom liked this
If force my child to stick it out till the end, but I never force him to play an a sport
frndlyfn
by Emerald Member on May. 8, 2012 at 11:47 AM

They think playing on a team will build confidence and other life skills.  It defeats the lessons though if child does not want to participate.  I know a few that would be horrified if their son wanted to be on a dance team rather than football or baseball.  I am going to let dd decide what she wants to do if anything.

kmjmlj
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM
I see that a lot with gymnastics they push and push while the kids saying can I stop or I don't want to. We go to competition and they don't even try which doesn't hurt individual scores but it does with group scores. Let them find their own thing they enjoy.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
chickensmommy
by Silver Member on May. 8, 2012 at 11:48 AM
4 moms liked this
Some kids want to play.. They may just not be talented. Should they be kicked off the team because they aren't good players?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
laciD
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM
Thank you! They are doing a disservice to their child and the children in the team who want to be there and work their butts off.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
christina0607
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:49 AM

It's pretty old fashioned to think that a sport is the only way to build those things. I agree it defeats the purpose when the child is asking to be benched.

Quoting frndlyfn:

They think playing on a team will build confidence and other life skills.  It defeats the lessons though if child does not want to participate.  I know a few that would be horrified if their son wanted to be on a dance team rather than football or baseball.  I am going to let dd decide what she wants to do if anything.

christina0607
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:50 AM

Ddi you not actually read the post?

Quoting chickensmommy:

Some kids want to play.. They may just not be talented. Should they be kicked off the team because they aren't good players?

bhow
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:50 AM

I totally agree.  Our oldest was on swim team for 5 yrs. the youngest never had an interest and that was fine with us.

Happiest are those who give the most happiness....

saltyalley1227
by on May. 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this
My kid has to be in something athletic- he can pick though. He has to finish what he starts though. I don't care if it's soccer/dance/gymnastics/martial arts whatever I just want him to be healthily active.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Crazy-Steph
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 11:51 AM
2 moms liked this

Where did she say that?  I read that she was speaking about kids that don't care and don't want to be there.  I would rather lose because of an untalented kid that puts his heart into the game, than because of a kid that has no desire to be there.

Quoting chickensmommy:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN