Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

sahm is not a job

Posted by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:04 PM
  • 37 Replies
I'm a sahm with 2 school age kids. Ny sil says its not considered being a sahm if kids aren't home. What do you think? I wasn't working just to give my pay to a sitter or day care. My youngest started preschool I do all my housework laundry and errands while they are in schools. So I can focus on my kids with homework hearing about their day. We do activities and play and I just tidy the kitchen up after meals. So on weekends only kitchen duties are done to have time with my kids. Summer time is a little different due to no school. Any body else a sahm with school aged kids no babies or toddlers?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:04 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
kmjmlj
by Bronze Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM
Forgot to mention I have a future job in 2 weeks to start classes and training for a rescue place. I'm meaning as in ny situation now.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sweets27
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM
If you're not a sahm what are you then? My mom was a sahm even when we were in school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Logan_Bellasmom
by Falling Starr on May. 8, 2012 at 12:06 PM
4 moms liked this

You are a housewife.

casah4
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM
2 moms liked this

My kids are 14 and 7 and I'm a SAHM.  I get all my chores/errands done during the day so I can enjoy my family on the evenings and weekends.  I enjoy it, my husband enjoys it, my children enjoy it, so I don't care how anyone else views it.  :)

jillbailey26
by on May. 8, 2012 at 12:07 PM

While I agree it's not a "job", I do think you're still a SAHM if your kids are in school.  You're still there for them when they go to school, come home, sick days and days/weeks/months off.

In August, my youngest will be going to Pre-K and all three of mine will be in school.  

"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification"  Romans 14:19

RelaxedMom2-3

All of mine are in school.. But I also babysit four kids under three to keep my from getting bored and help with bills.

GirlWSlingshot
I would just say homemaker, but there isn't really a point to arguing over semantics in this case.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
babiegurl47

Yea Id say that is a housewife. But its nobodys business what you do.

MommyFlood
Lol what in the heck would she call you then? You're not working, so you're a stay at home (fill in the blank). Just tell her you're a housewife when kids are at school and a stay at home mom when you're kids are home.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
3xangel
by Ruby Member on May. 8, 2012 at 12:08 PM
Housewife would fit you more since your kids are in school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)