Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

freaking pit bit my kid and the parents/owners tried to make excuses.

Posted by   + Show Post
So my kids were at the neighbors playing. Adults where outside too and their door was open. The dog apparently came running out the door and just attar med my son. Now my son has a huge hole and bite mark on his arm. The parents didn't come to see if he was ok until after they heard I was taking him to the hospital. Them they where trying to come up with reasons why the dog might have bit him and then saying "let me look" like I was over reacting.

Sorry but for me if a dog bites the dog needs to go. I'm filling out papers to have filed at the humane society and will be following up to make sure the animal is removed. My kids will also never play there again until that animal is gone.

What's worse is this is going to make my son afraid of dogs again. My mom had a dog years ago that was unhappy that my son was the only kid who didn't pay her attention so she bit him. Mom got that dog gone asap but we had to work with my son to make him not afraid of dogs. He just got over his fear this last summer and was Comfortable around them.

Yep I'm livid. I am not going to allow these people to make excuses for their dog. They want me to come o er to their house when I vet home...still unsure if I'm going to cause as mad as I am and if they make excuses or beg me not to say anything I might be a huge hitch...then their dog might bite me...haha
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 8, 2012 at 9:05 PM
Replies (161-170):
lilmomma232010
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

aww, right now mickey is 4 weeks(long story as to why he is with us so soon) and loves to cuddle with us

Quoting mrsbrimer:

mine is 5 years old, the sweetest dog u will ever meet

Quoting lilmomma232010:

same with mine, but he is still a puppy, but he is a cuddle bug

Quoting mrsbrimer:

ok come over to my house, meet my 100% purebred pit.. you will change your mind.

Quoting JSVDP:

I am the kind of person that believes that certain breeds are more apt to be aggressive. Pits are one of those breeds. One of those that if not properly trained will act on instinct because they don't know better.
I am not saying it's the breeds fault, but they are more aggressive by nature and its made worse when not properly trained or trained purposely to kill.
Doxies are also a breed that is apt to be aggressive. So thats just how I see it.

Quoting mrsbrimer:

Please don't blame the breed. Blame the owners. It could have been any breed. Just bad owners.

baby

JSVDP
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:38 PM
1 mom liked this

If a dog can't handle being around kids it should not be around kids. If any reason is going to cause a dog to attack then it should not be around kids. ALL the dogs I know, and there are many because most everyone I know has a dog, will let kids pull, sit, put their faces in theirs when they eat, just about anything and they do NOTHING AT ALL. My kids will run screaming through the house like a freaking banshee and my dogs will sleep through it and do absolutely nothing...same with most other dogs I have ever been around.
There is no good reason for a dog to attack a child.

Quoting beerebelly:

Well no one really knows the true facts about what went on with this ladies kid. But if a dog of mine bit a child I certainly would never trust it around kids again, no matter what the child was doing.

Quoting KimmyShaw:

If a dog feels threatened it will react and protect himself or family members, just like any other animal. If her child was messing with the dog and he bit the child, the dog should not be put down because the child didnt know how to act correctly with the dog. If it randomly bit him then of course....

Quoting beerebelly:

Quoting Aamy:

Yeah cause I'm sure your child didn't do anything ....... and they have a right to keep their dog.

It shouldn't matter. Do you value a dogs life over a childs??

irishstarz
by Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM
I'm so sorry that happened, and so glad it wasn't worse. My Son will never go to someone's house if they own a pitbull, I have every right to feel that way and I don't give a flying f**k if no one likes it. He knows pitbulls can be violent, but I have also taught Him that ALL animals can attack if they choose to for NO reason. Pits are just the most common (not looking for debate, just stating the obvious).
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJess9
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Oh I totally agree and I believe you because my dog is the same way. My dad was a semi-professional dog trainer when I was young, and our lab was that way too. When my brother and I were nervous around her, he showed us how you could put your hand in her mouth nearly to the point of gagging her, and she would not bite. It's absolutely about training. My dog has a sprain in her leg right now that is very sore. My friend's 11 month old fell on her sore leg, and rather than snap at him like many would, she jumped away from him, even though it caused her pain to do it.

My point was, if you're going to have a dog around children, it is an absolute MUST for it to be well trained. And it is completely possible to train a dog not to bite ever.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting MamaJess9:

If they really care about their own family, they will voluntarily have the dog put down themselves. Any dog who would bite any human under any circumstances should not be in a family's home. Period.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

Quoting JSVDP:

I could care less what they think. They are more worried about their damned dog than wether or not my son is ok. Didn't even ask about him when they came over.
My son will not be allowed to go there unless that dog is removed. And thats what I want, that dog away from kids. I don't care if they put it down or not, I just want it gone. It should not be around kids.

Quoting Tea4Tas:

I don;t think you really needto worry abut yor son going over there again....just sayin...My dogs have never bitten anyone, but if they did, and were put down because of it, not a chance in hell that kid would be allowed near my house ever again.

You go out of your way to have someone's dog killed, don't be surprised if they don't want to be around you.

I am glad, in my area, it is ALL left up to the authorities.  The hospital reports it, Animal control investigates, and it is not up to the bitten person at all.

One of my older son's friends is not allowed on our property..he was bitten 3 years ago and his parents sued the other family..I can't have that kind of liability around (in fact most of the parents in our area who know the story won't allow the kid over their house)  It's kind of sad, but the kid was chasing a dog with a stick, and the dog went after the stick and got the kid's hand pretty badly.  Cost the family their dog, and about $200K.

You do understnad that they will likely  never allow your son over again in any case right? They really don't car , I suspect about your son...they care about their family.

That would depend on the circumstances of the bite...I wasnt there, the OP wasn't there, and neither were you.

I have been around dogs for most of my life, and there is usually some reason  for a bite-even even just an excited dog who was locked up and then loosed into a yard full of running and hollaring kids...

It's really all abut training. You can stop my Dad's dog and make her LIE down in mid run..and i would have thought that was bullshit until i saw him do it.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
JSVDP
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

What is funny is people saying he must have done something....well then lets compare this to a rape, a girl dressed in a way that turned a guy on enough to cause him to rape or attempt rape...dont blame the guy, blame the girl for "provoking" him...I mean she MUST have done SOMETHING.
OR we can blame the parents too for not teaching this person not to do something so horrible...

And yes it is comparable. A guy decides to come out and grab a girls breast without her consent, sexual assult, but its not a big deal...because there is a difference so the guy should not be in trouble for doing it.

Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:43 PM

something mustve set the dog off - especially if the kids experiences with the dog were fine before this.  what i mean is - what was the situation... the dog just came charging out of the house and went straight for your son?  what else was going on.  im not at all saying that thats not possible - but dogs dont bite for no reason (unless they are sick or injured - but that IS a reason)  - especially dogs that have a prior good history - and especially if they have a prior good history with the person they bite.  im sure you can understand why they are concerned - that dog is likely like family to them and if theyve had no prior problems they are just as shocked as you are... and they are probably afraid that youre going to sue them and all that.  but maybe if you explain to them that its not personal... that you have to follow the law (which usually states that if a dog bites animal control must be called and the dog must be evaluated) it could help. i know as a dog owner - a person who loves my dogs like family - IF either were to bite someone it would freak me the fuck out too lol.  i would be shocked at my dogs behavior and fearful of what it might mean for my dog.  i would feel horrible for the person s/he bit and they would be on the forefront of my mind BUT i would also have to be careful because that could be used against me.  know what i mean.  IF the dog is evaluated and all signs point to this being a freak thing would you be willing to work something out with the owners... like.. make them put fencing up around their front yard so IF the dog wasnt in the house it wouldnt be able to come near your kids.   

im sorry about your son.  and i hope he heals quickly and fully and he doesnt have a fear of dogs from this.
BUT... youre incorrect - just because it bit once doesnt mean it will forever see your kid as a threat or a chew toy.  i understand how you feel tho... and why you would never want it near you or your kids again.  and i hope you know that this dog biting has nothing to do with it being a 'pit'.  when you say 'a freaking pit bit my kid..'  its along the same line in the drama scale as saying 'a black man stole my purse'. lol.  
my dog is a wonderful dog... he loves people and he adores kids and loves being around them - and he has been around tons of all ages and sizes.  but there is ONE kid he WOULD go after if he had the chance - this kid has tormented my dog, thrown things at him, yelled at him, teased him through the fence with food, poked him through the fence with sticks etc... IF my dog (who is 25% pit bull) were to bite this kid it would be 'omg look another pit bull attack'... but the fact is this kid has established himself as a threat/annoyance to my dog.  im not saying at all that this is what happened with your situation..just relating a personal story lol. 

Quoting JSVDP:

So I get home and they come right over. They are concerned about animal control and what might happen to their dammed dog. Then the guy says "id like to have him come over and introduce e him to the dog right."your fucking joking! My kids have gone over there many times. I even went over there when they got the thing to be sure it was not vicious. The kids have been around the dog many times so tell me how they weren't introduced right. I told the guy my kids will never be allowed near that dog again. Once it bites its not going to stop esspecially the same kid it sees as a threat or a chew toy.
I am following up with humane society. I will make sure that animal is taken from them. I wont sue but that dog will be gone. I don't give a flying flip if they get mad about it.

randomosityblog
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:45 PM

Did you post a pic of the bite yet?

carterscutie85
by *Shanny's Stalker* on May. 9, 2012 at 12:45 PM

I didn't either so idk.

But typically dogs don't just bite one person out of the blue. Usually if they come charging out of the house looking to attack someone they have a history of biting, kwim?

Quoting areid1023:

sorry, i havent read through all the replies. did she say this dog has a history of biting people? 

Quoting carterscutie85:

I'd do the same.

It's a shame the owners were neglectful and now the dog pays though. If they knew their dog bites people they should have secured it inside or outside-not just let it run out after whoever it wanted to.

JSVDP
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:46 PM

He said the as soon as the dog bit him he started moving away, and he took off out of the yard. He was right next to the gate opening so he was out of it before the dog could get him. There is a huge scrape mark where the teeth scraped across his arm as he was pulling away. If he had been still and not run away it probably would have been worse.

Quoting irishstarz:

I'm so sorry that happened, and so glad it wasn't worse. My Son will never go to someone's house if they own a pitbull, I have every right to feel that way and I don't give a flying f**k if no one likes it. He knows pitbulls can be violent, but I have also taught Him that ALL animals can attack if they choose to for NO reason. Pits are just the most common (not looking for debate, just stating the obvious).

Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:47 PM

no no no its not the same.  dogs are animals.  they bite for a REASON. hey bite because they are scared or threatened or protecting something or hurt or sick or etc.  its not excusing the dog or blaming your son- its about UNDERSTANDING so that it can be prevented.
its nothign like blaming the victim in a rape.  thats completely different than an animal doign what animals do on instinct. 
and i dont think people are necessarily thinking that your son did somethign to provoke the attack - be it intentionally or not - its that people understand that a normally non-aggressive dog doesnt just suddenly turn aggressive with someone it knows who is not making them feel threatened or defensive unless it is ILL.

Quoting JSVDP:

What is funny is people saying he must have done something....well then lets compare this to a rape, a girl dressed in a way that turned a guy on enough to cause him to rape or attempt rape...dont blame the guy, blame the girl for "provoking" him...I mean she MUST have done SOMETHING.
OR we can blame the parents too for not teaching this person not to do something so horrible...

And yes it is comparable. A guy decides to come out and grab a girls breast without her consent, sexual assult, but its not a big deal...because there is a difference so the guy should not be in trouble for doing it.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)