Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

The giant golden-crowned flying fox (Acerodon jubatus), also known as the golden-capped fruit bat, is a rare megabat and one of the largest bats in the world.The species is endangered and is currently facing the possibility of extinction because of poaching and forest destruction. It is endemic to forests in the Philippines. 

The giant golden-crowned flying fox is primarily nocturnal, and can travel at least 40 km (25 mi) in one night searching for food. This bat is a pollinator and seed disperser for many fruit trees in the Philippines. It uses water for grooming.

They eat primarily figs, though will take other fruit if figs are unavailable. They have been reported to eat cultivated fruit, but this is relatively rare. Other fruits that may be eaten include: puhutan, lamio, tangisang, bayawak, bankal and strangler figs. Known as “The Silent Planter”,they release seeds in their droppings, often while flying. This helps maintain the Philippine rainforest.

ETA

The giant golden-crowned flying fox gets its species name from the golden fur around the head, in sharp contrast to the black body. Like all other fruit bats, they have no tail. They are among the largest bats, with a wingspan of 1.5–1.7 m (4 ft 10 in–5 ft 7 in) and weighing 0.7–1.2 kg (1.5–2.6 lb).[3] The only other bats with comparable measurements are a few species of Pteropus.[3]
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:16 PM
Replies (21-30):
crispysmom
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Yikes
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
epoh
by Emerald Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM
Wikipedia says it is.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giant_golden-crowned_flying_fox

I found the original post on tumblr.

Quoting LoriLou75:

Is that real!?!?!?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashleyrenee24
by Ashley on May. 8, 2012 at 10:21 PM

I would freak out if I saw that.

AshandJax
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM
Wow
taKENheart
by Flovely on May. 8, 2012 at 10:22 PM

Never heard of it...had to google!  WOW at the size!

taKENheart
by Flovely on May. 8, 2012 at 10:23 PM

wikipilipinas.org  says it is real too! 

shadow_lark
by Gold Member on May. 8, 2012 at 10:23 PM
FRUITbat....it eats fruit.

lol at spiderman

Quoting quickbooksworm:

The bats where I live are very small, cute, and they eat bugs.

Not only is that thing disturbingly large but I have to wonder what the hell kind of mutant bugs is that thing eating?! Spiderman???
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kjfamily
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:24 PM
1 mom liked this
Omg I'm so proud of my dd10 .. I called her over to show her the pic and scare her, haha , and she said is that the great golden fox? I guess she learned about them at school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MamaJess9
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:24 PM
Lol trust me I didn't notice it on my own! I've seen it before (FB maybe?) and if you look at the top of it's head, there's a knife... that's either one huuuggggeee knife, or it's a smaller pic of a bat pasted into the forest scene. :)

Although looking at the second one, I think it is too. The lines between the bat and the guardrail just look "wrong" and the guy standing next to it has a shadow, the bat doesn't.

Quoting jmsbowtie:

Just curious how do you know I can't ever tell stuff like that

Quoting MamaJess9:

Not sure about the first one, but the second is photoshopped.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TugBoatMama
by on May. 8, 2012 at 10:25 PM
What the fuuuuu.....ck? I love bats but great Caesar's ghost that is frightening!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN