Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

OMG what a horrible pit bull!

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:33 AM
  • 44 Replies
2 moms liked this

Pit Bull rescues owner from train’s path

Posted: May 08, 2012 11:26 AM EDTUpdated: May 08, 2012 6:25 PM EDT

SHIRLEY (FOX 25 / MyFoxBoston.com) – An 8-year-old pit bull named Lilly is being hailed a hero after frantically pulling her unconscious owner from train tracks moments before a freight train barreled through.

The engineer who stopped the train and called first responders saw the dog named Lilly pulling her owner, Christine Spain, away from the tracks around midnight on May 4 in Shirley. The engineer attempted to stop, but couldn't avoid hitting Lilly.

Spain was not injured, but Lilly suffered a complete "de-gloving" of her right foot: all of the muscle and skin were gone. Her pelvis was fractured in multiple locations and she suffered other internal injuries. But even as first police and firefighters arrived at the scene, Lilly stayed by her owner's side.

Lilly was taken to an emergency animal hospital in Acton, where Boston Police Officer David Lanteigne, who'd rescued Lilly three years prior as a therapy dog for his mother who has suffered from alcoholism for nearly her entire life, picked her up and then brought her to Angell Animal Medical Center in Boston, where emergency veterinarians examined Lilly.

Lilly's right front leg could not be saved and had to be amputated, and because of her age, doctors decided not to operate on her pelvis until she had time to recover from the amputation.

She had the second surgery Sunday and is now recovering in Angell's Emergency and Critical Care unit in a kennel adorned with pictures, notes and get-well cards brought by her family, friends and neighbors.

Lilly's medical care will likely run into the thousands of dollars. A fund has been set up to help offset her care. You can donate to the fund by visiting www.mspca.org/helplilly.

(photo courtesy of Angell Animal Medical Center)

http://www.myfoxboston.com/story/18178649/pit-bull-rescues-owner-from-trains-path

The month of May is the Nerofibromatosis awarness month. 

One of the major signs are cafe au lait spots (flat brown spots on the skin).

Please research this disorder! 

I have this disorder myself.

CLICK PHOTO FOR MORE INFO!

by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM

BUMP!

christi34
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM
1 mom liked this
I love stories like these that give pits a good name. It is sad to hear that Lilly got hurt and lost her leg. Some people need to give animals a chance.

Mean people make mean dogs.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
IncognitoOne
by Angela-Marie on May. 9, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Amazing animal.

toopicky429
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 8:38 AM
1 mom liked this
Bump
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 8:38 AM

Exactly. NEVER in my life have I seen a mean pit bull. Had half my nose taken off by a golden retriever though.

Quoting christi34:

I love stories like these that give pits a good name. It is sad to hear that Lilly got hurt and lost her leg. Some people need to give animals a chance.

Mean people make mean dogs.

The month of May is the Nerofibromatosis awarness month. 

One of the major signs are cafe au lait spots (flat brown spots on the skin).

Please research this disorder! 

I have this disorder myself.

CLICK PHOTO FOR MORE INFO!

tiffstud
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:40 AM
Beautiful dog. Good job Lilly! Feel better soon!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Tea4Tas
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Yet anothe r  use for a therapy dog. She was probably trained to move her owner away from danger...it's so sad that her owner's alcoholism is such that her therapy dog had to be injured so badly.

I would love to see her owner forced into detox for this little stunt.

gypsy_rose
by Ruby Member on May. 9, 2012 at 8:40 AM

I guess a pit bull doing GOOD is not enough drama for some. That they hate to see pits in a good light.

Lordgodempress
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 8:41 AM
That is so sweet, That dog should get a steak dinner as soon as she's healed!
sidneyb
by on May. 9, 2012 at 8:42 AM
beautiful dog
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)