Advertisement
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

If Pits are SOOOOO Vicious...

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:41 AM
  • 142 Replies
6 moms liked this

Why was a pitbull used in the series Little Rascals?  Why was a pit used to film Homeward Bound: The Incredible Journey?  Why are they used in MANY movies involving children?

I'm not a pit owner.  But I've met many pitbulls in my life.  I've never seen one attack a person- ever.  I've seen ONE attack another dog that was provoking it.  

What I HAVE SEEN are poodles attacking people, bear dogs attacking people/small animals (watched a kitten get mauled to death when I was 9), a lab mix attack my little brother and rip a chunk out of his eye, and I was attacked by a Pomeranian and an American Bulldog.  I have also seen a standard poodle attack a kid that was pulling it's tail.  

You have MORE REASON to be threatened by OTHER breeds of dogs than you are a pitbull.  Dalmations are even known to attack without real reason.  

People need to do more research before listening to media and bullshit spouted off about how dangerous pitbulls are as a breed, and forming an opinion based on that.  Pitbulls are animal aggressive, NOT human aggressive.  And even then, pitbulls can be raised around other animals and turn out to be healthy, friendly beings.  

**As an edit, I'd just like to reply to all the "pitbulls are stupid" comments:

No.  They're actually very smart, and that's the problem.  Dog experts recommend them only to SMART and EXPERIENCED dog owners because they need an owner that is savvy enough to know how to break their stubborn attitudes.  The "stupid" dogs some of you are talking about are probably not stupid at all- they are bull headed and ignore people and act "dumb".  They need someone that won't just shrug and say, "My dog is dumb."  

by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:41 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
embersparkle
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:43 AM
6 moms liked this
Please stop beating the horse....any dog can turn on you ...no matter the breed...just be smart.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs_Szontagh
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM

any dog can be vicious depending on how it was raised.

Katie6382
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 9:44 AM
3 moms liked this
I don't care one way or the other about pit bulls. I don't hate them, but I would never own one. I worked as an animal control officer for 5 years and I can tell you that about 90% of the "vicious dog" calls were either pit bulls or rottweillers. I think it mostly depends on how the owner raises them, but I have seen several turn on their owners for absolutely no reason.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ShannaBee
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 9:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I read in a magazine that the dog from Homeward Bound was an American Bulldog. The dog from Incredible Journey was a Bullterrier.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GomezMami2908
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:47 AM

Agreed. 

I also do agree with the previous poster about how any dog can turn on you, however the point is that the media doesn't focus on that, they focus on how Pitbulls are evil and people actually believe it and shit on the breed even more. That's the problem. 

I won't ever be tired of "beating this horse" animals don't have a voice, we are their voice and as long as I change at least one person's mind on Pits, at least if they walk away more educated then it's a victory for Pit owners everywhere. 

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on May. 9, 2012 at 9:47 AM
3 moms liked this

They're stupid as far as dangerous breeds go, so they're going to lash out more often.  My sister has a pitbull, it's a wonderful dog, but gave my son stitches in the leg nevertheless, unprovoked as he was just standing there.  I personally would not own any derivative of bull dog, they're notoriously stupid.

neverbeamom
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM

Exactly.

Quoting GomezMami2908:

Agreed. 

I also do agree with the previous poster about how any dog can turn on you, however the point is that the media doesn't focus on that, they focus on how Pitbulls are evil and people actually believe it and shit on the breed even more. That's the problem. 

I won't ever be tired of "beating this horse" animals don't have a voice, we are their voice and as long as I change at least one person's mind on Pits, at least if they walk away more educated then it's a victory for Pit owners everywhere. 

southern.momof2
by Mel on May. 9, 2012 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Is today pit day? Oh well, better than pa day.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LoriLou75
by Lori on May. 9, 2012 at 9:49 AM

ALL DOGS BITE, and in spite of the fact that you haven't witnessed any specific breed bite doesn't mean they bite any less, or not at all. If we excluded all breeds from hollywood that have bitten, we wouldn't have any dogs in movies, lol. I don't support breed profiling, but this is a really dumb arguement agaqinst it.

neverbeamom
by on May. 9, 2012 at 9:49 AM

You are more than welcome to not read any post you feel is "beating the horse".  

Quoting embersparkle:

Please stop beating the horse....any dog can turn on you ...no matter the breed...just be smart.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)