Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

I made my 4 year old buy her own.......ETA

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM
  • 288 Replies
10 moms liked this

Bike.  She had been told my her dad and I so many times not to leave her bike behind her dad's truck.  One morning, Dh was running late for work, so he just jumped in the truck to leave, and wham, ran right over her bike. So, yesterday, we explained to her that since she didn't listen, she was gonna take all her money that she had saved up, and get her another bike.  We asked her multiple times what we were doing, and she was say..." I left my bike behind behind dad's truck, and he ran over it on accident."  Then we would ask her how many times had we told her not to leave it there, and she would say 6 times.  She owns up to 6, but it was actually more than that.  Then we asked her how she was gonna get another bike, and she says, "With my money that I saved up."  We also let her know that if she left her bike back there again, and dad runs over it, then we would not buy her another bike.  (At least not this summer).  Thoughts ladies?

ETA:  I was outside with her and her sister the whole time.  She was going between her bike and the trampoline, and was told many times that day to put it up. When she ran over to the trampoline, I had assumed she had put it up, and I even asked her and she said yes.  

She thought it was a good idea to use her money for a new bike and is happy that it was her money that bought it.

DH leaves for work at 3:30 in the morning, no children are outside for him to worry about.  It's a rule, to put toys up, he assumed she had. 

What is wrong with teaching a child responsibility, when she knew what she did was wrong?

With every action, there is a consequence, she knows this.  After at least 10 times of telling her to put away her bike, her bike should have been put up.  

ETA: For the ones who thinks a 4 year old can't have any concept of money, then how come she won't spend a red cent of her money until it is absolutely necessary.  She had 2 options when this happened, wait until next summer, or spend her money and have another bike.  She knows the concept of money, and saving.  She saves every penny that she can find.  

And, for the ones who think this is a parenting fail, and think I shouldn't hold my kids responsible when they know they done something wrong. get back with me in 10 years and we'll see how my kids are fairing compared to yours!!!

We live in the country, there is no one around!!

Rules without consequences are never learned!!!

by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lucky2Beeme
by Platinum Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:06 AM

harsh. Kids forget esp 6 year old. You the parents should be making sure she follows through. If she was 12 or so yes then I think after years of hounding her it would be on her.

LivinLifeLarge
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:07 AM
4 moms liked this
I would do the same thing! She left it there, so she buys a new one!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Ladolcevita9
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:07 AM
1 mom liked this
You should have just made sure she put it back where it belongs. I would just watch my 4 year old put it back when he's done. It's not a hard concept.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Justine1123
by Justine on May. 9, 2012 at 11:08 AM
5 moms liked this
Shes 4 years old. Where are you when she is riding this bike and leaving it there?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mes_deux_amours
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:08 AM
I don't see a problem with that.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
atyou
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:08 AM
this.

Quoting Justine1123:

Shes 4 years old. Where are you when she is riding this bike and leaving it there?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmandaMaeBell
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

She's 4.  She was fine with what we did.  She wanted a new bike, so she was more than willing to spend her money to get it.  She remembers us telling her to not leave it there, so I think since she remembered, she should be held accountable for not moving it.  

Quoting lucky2Beeme:

harsh. Kids forget esp 6 year old. You the parents should be making sure she follows through. If she was 12 or so yes then I think after years of hounding her it would be on her.

AHmom103
by Alexis on May. 9, 2012 at 11:09 AM

I'm not sure I'd do that with a 4 year old, at least not with something expensive, like a bike. I have made my 4 year old replace things of her own that she's ruined/broken after being told repeatedly not to, but only things that were relatively inexpensive.

I'm a designer at the best siggy group on CM--click here to check it out!

LexRi0709
3 moms liked this
I would do the exact same thing. My kids have 3 warnings to pick up toys before I go in with a trash bag. I've had to do it a couple times. Kids even at a young age have to learn responsibility for their belongings. If you went and bought her another bike, it would probably have been run over again. Now, hopefully she won't leave it in the driveway since she bought it!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
AmandaMaeBell

That's what I thought about it too.

Quoting LivinLifeLarge:

I would do the same thing! She left it there, so she buys a new one!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)