Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Sad convo with DS

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:13 AM
  • 7 Replies

DS (5) has ADHD and there has been mention of Asperger's before although we don't have that official diagnosis. His psychiatrist is closing her private practice so I spend the day yesterday finding him a new one. When I found one they directed me to their website for the paperwork. It had a questionnaire for the parents to fill out with the childs "symptoms". This is the first time that I have filled one out when he has been big enough to answer for himself so I reworded things to a 5 year old level and asked away. I was pretty please with most of his answers, but there were 2 that just make me so sad for him. I asked if he preferred to play alone or with friends and he said alone. When I asked why he said it's because he gets to nervous with friends. That makes me feel super guilty and sad for him because I have a social phobia so I no how hard it is. I have no idea if mine started that young or not. I do remember feeling that way around the 4th grade, but not before. Anyway...I then asked if he ever wanted to hurt himself. When he was younger he would bang his head off of the wall or ground when he was angry and I have caught him slapping himself in the face but it has been a while. He answered that question with yes and had a sad look on his face. I asked why/when and he said that he wants to hurt himself when people make him angry. I have no clue what to do with that. I just want to tuck him in my pocket to keep him safe :(  He is generally a very happy kid. I'm not sure there is a real point to this post. I just needed to say that to other moms. I'm very anxious for his appointment with the new psychiatrist. Thanks for reading.

by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
LadyStork
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:16 AM
That is sad. And the same way I feel to this day because my parents never got.me.help. I'm happy to hear you are one that cares and does get help, so that he will have a better life.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
monkeyrhea
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:02 PM

I am so sorry that you are feeling this way too. I just can't imagine what it must be like to feel that way. It breaks my heart for you, my son, and anyone else that feels that way.

Quoting LadyStork:

That is sad. And the same way I feel to this day because my parents never got.me.help. I'm happy to hear you are one that cares and does get help, so that he will have a better life.

grey7399
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:24 PM

Poor little guy!

jess80
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:25 PM
;-(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Whisper85
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 12:29 PM

*hugs* mama.

xMommaKayx
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:32 PM

Yes, very sad... but you should be glad that you asked him the questions and that he answered so that you now know.  Good luck- give him a big hug now!

Aspiemom0203
by on May. 9, 2012 at 12:42 PM
Awe I was there not too long ago... I know it breaks your heart:(
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN