Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

The CafeMom Newcomers Club The CafeMom Newcomers Club

Was my waitress being rude?

Posted by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:43 AM
  • 68 Replies

We went out to eat at Chili's last night. Same Chilis we always go to, and we have never had a problem before... 

So as we were looking through the menu, the waitress comes over and notices that my 3 year old had taken some sugar packets out of the little holder. So the waitress says "Oh do you mind if I take that away from her, I'm sure she's having a great time, but it's really a pain to put back." I should have said no, but I was like um ok, I know they are a pain because we always clean them up".  We really do, we're not slobs. So I said to dh "I think that was a little rude, don't you?" and he agreed. We just brushed it off after that, maybe she was just having a bad day, annoyed with kids.... whatever. 

So we eat our meal and as we are just about to pay, the lady cleans our plates up and my husband for some unknown reason grabs say "oh I wanted that" and my last chicken crisper off of my plate. So as the lady started to walk away I looked up and she was making a sarcastic "Yikes" face. She was definitely making fun of my husband. I told him and we both decided that she was just not a very nice person. So my very generous dh only tipped her 15% instead of 20%. 

Was she being rude, or am I thinking too far into it? I know waitresses put up with some pretty crappy stuff from people sometimes. 

by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:43 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lovehimforever
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:46 AM
5 moms liked this

I think she was being rude. 

if she cannot be nice and respectful to customers then she is in the wrong line of work. 

its a good thing that she was not servicing my husband, he would have said something to her and her boss. hes not big on being disrespected and when he is you better bet he is going to say something about it. 

i know everyone may not agree but if they are really rude, espeically to my children. i wont tip them. plain and simple. 

Rlmama00
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:51 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't think she was rude for taking the sugar packs at all. Kids should not be messing with them. Making the face because of your dh might have been a bit much but maybe she felt he was rude for grabbing while she was clearing the table.
lilmacmama20
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:52 AM
3 moms liked this
i think you are thinking to far into it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gr8d8n3mom
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:52 AM
3 moms liked this

(yrs before I became a paramedic) my Family had a restaurant, and so did my grandmother) Yes your right it is a pain, and she might have come off as rude, but honestly u shouldn't let your child "play" with them either, right?

When my girls were small I took all stuff like that off the table, or up higher, if I could, or gave it to my waitress.  I always packed some kind of small bag with things for them to play with or color.

Back to you. I think your waitress was having a bad day, and (all though my grandmother taught us, bitch and gripe in the kitchen all u want.) when your feet hit that dining floor that's ur money, smile and accommodate the customer! They are your meal ticket, so if  your child wasn't putting the sugar packs in her mouth, I see no harm, but obviously your waitress did.  Your better than I am, I wouldn't have given 15% I would have dropped it down more to 10-12% if she was that nasty, some waitress's need to learn, ur most of their money, treat u right!

trishasjunebug
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:53 AM
6 moms liked this

I was a server and kids at the table would open the sugars and pour them all over the table lol I wouldn't say a word and just clean up after they left, no big deal especially if she wasn't opening them who cares they are easy to put back. I also always ask if my guests are finished with thier plates so I can clear them off for them that way I don't take a plate they are still eating off :) Sounds pretty rude of her...

Lilypie First Birthday tickersLilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
                                 Lilypie - (dCon)

river.red
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:54 AM
3 moms liked this
She was being rude. I don't care how bad your day is or what was going through her mind when she mouthed "yikes" you don't treat the customers that way.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Namaste17
by on May. 9, 2012 at 11:54 AM

My kid would be in trouble for that. 

Quoting trishasjunebug:

I was a server and kids at the table would open the sugars and pour them all over the table lol I wouldn't say a word and just clean up after they left, no big deal especially if she wasn't opening them who cares they are easy to put back. I also always ask if my guests are finished with thier plates so I can clear them off for them that way I don't take a plate they are still eating off :) Sounds pretty rude of her...

CocoMama88
by Bronze Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:55 AM
3 moms liked this
I used to be a server, yes she was being rude. Who cares if your daughter was playing with sugar packets? If she opened and spilled them everywhere its still not her place to take something from your child. She's getting paid to clean up after you. And if your husband wanted the dang chicken thing that he paid for, he should get it. Servers attitude is what they get tipped for.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mmtosam06
by Gold Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this
Whatever happened to waiting for the family to leave to clear the table?!?! I understand at a Chinese buffet where they ask just so there's more rm on the table
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pristine729
by Silver Member on May. 9, 2012 at 11:56 AM
1 mom liked this
She was immature to make a face for sure... As for the sugar packets, my boss (I waitress) would have me tell them to be cautious with the kids regarding what they grab...if the sugar packets go in their mouth, then it's a waste for the owner...
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN